View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
We're only talking about a $500 or so price margin here, by the time all is said and done. I don't work on retail prices, I just consider what I paid for it, what I have into it in time and parts, and then figure a price for it.

Adding a SG to the deal would probably confuse the average person I'm selling the car to, as most of them are either only starting to be concerned with FE, or aren't concerned at all, and just need a newer car than they have currently, or something more reliable... or maybe just a replacement for some other reason.

I've really thought this out, and it could play in many scenarios, but I'd love to do it without troubling myself further... I'm just looking for ideas of things that can be done that aren't going to affect the driveability of the car, or make it any less safe if the driver doesn't know about it.

Things like adjusting the brakes properly, so that they don't rub, or using lighter parts to replace broken OEM ones, if available, etc.

I just don't really have the time to sit down and debate things with people... as a result, I don't debate prices either. I ask what I ask, and it's not flexible. I make cash sales, and guarantee the car for 60 days. If something fails, and it's not obviously b/c the driver is an idiot, I'll fix it free, parts and labor.

Lots of times, there are other parts from other model-line cars that are/should be more efficient to use, like lighter or more aero wheels...

Would it be wrong to change tire sizes if I could recalibrate the speedo to compensate? (I think yes, b/c most places put on tires based on the sticker on the car, so they'd end up going faster than the speedo says, and it could land them a speeding ticket - bad juju)

So what types of things can I do that don't require extensive work, and won't affect the vehicle's feel or reliability?