View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
metroschultz
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
I do the exact same thing.
Buy--Fix--Sell
I do what I can to improve the product without changing anything that would require special knowledge down the road.
All with my eye on the bottom line.
You cannot put $1000 worth of upgrade in a car and sell it fro $1000 and make any money.
I have been covering the front bottom of the cars with coroplast. This is usually just an extension of the original undertray anyway. I had one complaint with this particular item.
The buyer went to JiffyLube some months after the purchase and they reamed him for having a belly pan under the oil pan.
I am not sure what happened at the time but he called me and asked if I had put something under the car that it didn't come with.
I explained I had, and he could remove it if he so desired or he could bring it to me and I would remove it.
I have since started telling people all that I have done in an effort to improve the mileage.
Since I drive all my cars for two weeks (or more) before putting them on the block, I tell them That I have driven the car for a while, and there is no problem with the mods I have made. If they chose to not have them I will remove them, or restore the car to OEM.
I believe that since we have the knowledge to make these cars a little more efficient than they were when we got them, We are obligated to do so. Unless the future owner chooses against it.
I am not above removing something I put on in an effort to make a sale.
In the For What It's Worth column,
That same customer contacted me a few weeks ago. He needs a car for his daughter, and the one I sold him last year is still running strong with no issues. He doesn't go back to JiffyLube any more.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein