View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
cfg83 - Thanks for that link. It was helpful!

Everyone- I've put a lot of thought into this, because I try to be as honest as I can, even to the extent that something won't sell b/c I "tell all".

I honestly don't hold anything back, because in most cases, the money I've put into the car can be re-acquired through parting it out. "Parting a car" is something I don't like to do, because there is A LOT of waste generated by doing it. Every part that doesn't sell ends up in either a landfill or a junkyard, and eventually is crushed/scrapped/recycled... which costs more in the long run than just keeping it on the road. Why "recycle" something, when the cost of recycling it is more than the cost of sustaining it?

I believe that in today's world, MPG is a sure fire thought-provoker, at the very least. It may not get you the sale every time, but it might get something thinking... and that may lead them to doing things just that little bit differently. If even that is the outcome of a meeting with a potential client, I've still managed a small bit of "Win".

I do, however, believe in Karma, and the ripple-effect. I believe that what I do today impacts the lives of millions tomorrow. I believe that bad things are heavier than good on a scale, and it takes more good to outweigh less bad.

Based on these beliefs, and help from the moral side of EcoModder, I've decided that I will offer "free, or at cost, upgrades" (see explanation) with the cars/vehicles I sell. I will upgrade things like belly pans, install aero components where applicable, etc... at the consumer's request.

\Upgrades - I won't charge you for the labor to install it, the cost of materials may or may not be added to the vehicle's price, and all additions are still covered under the existing warranty. Upgrades may be taken or removed at any time during the warranty period free of labor charges. Upgrades installed before sale will not affect final price. Upgrades requested after sale will require purchase price of materials only, at my cost, installation will be free of charge to customers.\

The speedo mod works out, except that speedo's don't calibrate themselves... so I'd still have to inform the person of the mod so that they could make sure to get the proper tire size (corrected for calibration) installed, when they needed new tires.

Things such as trimming mudflaps, removing non-aero trim enhancements, etc.. can now be requested by the customer, with a list of "approved" mods being maintained in my shop, that they may look through, choosing those which appeal most to them.

It's like a trim level upgrade at the dealer now. It's not a "mod"... it's an "UPGRADE!". We all love those, right?

(Semantics are fun... LOL)