View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
naturalextraction
naturalextraction

designs

My first year to Bonneville was last year. It was short lived as I didn't have extra items, like more engines! This year I am much better prepared. Good info on the fairings as that is my biggest part of the project this year. I'm making them myself with a friend of mine familiar with the different plastics and lexans. I've checked out as many sites as I can regarding aerodynamics as it relates to my cycle. I've pretty much decided to go with what is typical as was shown on the site from the start of the thread, however my turbo creates more width to the bike and have to make it quite wide while still getting enough down force in the front without uplift due to it's overall design. If any one has any more links to DIY fairing sites or personal info on how you've made your own I may learn something. I'm a new-be at that kind of work even though I've used fiberglass on many projects. Don't like it at all!! Also the amount of work to get it smooth plus making a mold or supporting structure etc.
I'm new to this forum and site but find it pretty interesting.
Just an FYI, the bike I'm on in the pix runs on most liquid or NG or LPN fuels. It's a gasoline engine which I mostly run on diesel due to more btu in that fuel. On diesel my best was 108 with 140hp on tap. Obviously aerodynamics is most important. It is a 1982 550 Yamaha by the way. I'm building a 900 Yamaha for a daily that I want to incorporate more style in the fairings utilizing more "off the shelf" as the turbo will be located differently and I may just buy one.
Any ideas are welcome.