Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 11:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I appreciate that you are operating on perception here, but[...]
I appreciate your vast experience in blowing Metros off the road, but...

I have read a fair amount on this site now, and people disagree and have different opinions. But your posts here are the first aggressive, dismissive stuff I've noticed.

Ah, the Internet.

Ride your own ride.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
naturalextraction

designs

My first year to Bonneville was last year. It was short lived as I didn't have extra items, like more engines! This year I am much better prepared. Good info on the fairings as that is my biggest part of the project this year. I'm making them myself with a friend of mine familiar with the different plastics and lexans. I've checked out as many sites as I can regarding aerodynamics as it relates to my cycle. I've pretty much decided to go with what is typical as was shown on the site from the start of the thread, however my turbo creates more width to the bike and have to make it quite wide while still getting enough down force in the front without uplift due to it's overall design. If any one has any more links to DIY fairing sites or personal info on how you've made your own I may learn something. I'm a new-be at that kind of work even though I've used fiberglass on many projects. Don't like it at all!! Also the amount of work to get it smooth plus making a mold or supporting structure etc.
I'm new to this forum and site but find it pretty interesting.
Just an FYI, the bike I'm on in the pix runs on most liquid or NG or LPN fuels. It's a gasoline engine which I mostly run on diesel due to more btu in that fuel. On diesel my best was 108 with 140hp on tap. Obviously aerodynamics is most important. It is a 1982 550 Yamaha by the way. I'm building a 900 Yamaha for a daily that I want to incorporate more style in the fairings utilizing more "off the shelf" as the turbo will be located differently and I may just buy one.
Any ideas are welcome.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...bladustbin.jpg

Gosh, that was a grind. OK, so there is an Airtech Dustbin fairing, and that's the kind you want for speed or economy. To win a race, you have to figure out what the competition is doing poorly, as well as getting everything else right. In airflow, that usually means more attention to detail, to keep the flow smooth everywhere. If your forks get light, a small wing is probably going to work out as well as a redesign, unless there are new tricks to try.

If crosswinds are a factor, it is probably good to have some fairly sharp contours between the front and side, to spoil any lift if it starts to build up. Of course, you want a gentle stall, too, or buffeting will be a lot worse.

Re: high power/weight ratios: Perhaps because I've gotten to so many useful places by bicycle and by heavy truck, when it comes to sporty machinery, I still think it is more fun to see how much time I can spend with the pedal to the metal, and plotting to conserve that momentum, rather than minding my traction for a burst of acceleration.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
I appreciate your vast experience in blowing Metros off the road, but...

I have read a fair amount on this site now, and people disagree and have different opinions. But your posts here are the first aggressive, dismissive stuff I've noticed.

Ah, the Internet.

Ride your own ride.
Poor guy. Must be all upset that some guy in a 42" wide 3-wheel EV blew his doors off. Something good about having a canopy - no one can blow your doors off if you don't have any..... (....a groaner....)
Old 03-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
If your forks get light, a small wing is probably going to work out as well as a redesign, unless there are new tricks to try.

If crosswinds are a factor, it is probably good to have some fairly sharp contours between the front and side, to spoil any lift if it starts to build up. Of course, you want a gentle stall, too, or buffeting will be a lot worse.
Tony Foale suggested putting the small wings on the axle of the front wheel, where they do not load the suspension. There they have to be short, of course, for turns, which hurts their efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan View Post
Poor guy. Must be all upset that some guy in a 42" wide 3-wheel[...]
I looked at those velomobile fairings at the link you posted. Most *are* 3-wheel. That makes crosswinds' effects on the fairing much less of an issue.

In Texas at least, 3 wheeled vehicles are classified as motorcycles too.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
I dismiss concern trolls in the motorcycle forum pretty easily

Suggesting a 650 for safety reasons is pretty much trolling in my opinion, that's waay more bike than necessary for commuting. (I get to have an opinion too, no?)
Old 03-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalextraction View Post
My first year to Bonneville was last year. It was short lived as I didn't have extra items, like more engines! This year I am much better prepared. Good info on the fairings as that is my biggest part of the project this year. I'm making them myself with a friend of mine familiar with the different plastics and lexans. I've checked out as many sites as I can regarding aerodynamics as it relates to my cycle. I've pretty much decided to go with what is typical as was shown on the site from the start of the thread, however my turbo creates more width to the bike and have to make it quite wide while still getting enough down force in the front without uplift due to it's overall design. If any one has any more links to DIY fairing sites or personal info on how you've made your own I may learn something. I'm a new-be at that kind of work even though I've used fiberglass on many projects. Don't like it at all!! Also the amount of work to get it smooth plus making a mold or supporting structure etc.
I'm new to this forum and site but find it pretty interesting.
Just an FYI, the bike I'm on in the pix runs on most liquid or NG or LPN fuels. It's a gasoline engine which I mostly run on diesel due to more btu in that fuel. On diesel my best was 108 with 140hp on tap. Obviously aerodynamics is most important. It is a 1982 550 Yamaha by the way. I'm building a 900 Yamaha for a daily that I want to incorporate more style in the fairings utilizing more "off the shelf" as the turbo will be located differently and I may just buy one.
Any ideas are welcome.
Naturalextraction, thanks for chiming in. I'm interested in a Bonneville trip in the next few years which is partially what got me interested in this. Please keep us updated. We can learn alot from Bonneville efforts!

For another fairing, Craig Vetter is planning to make a production version of his Helix shell, this may have some use for you. Good DIY fabrication methods for a shell interests many of us, even those of us who want to make a pick-up bed boat tail. Maybe there is no better way than to just get toxic with resins, but I too would like to see some.

Lastly with diesel now comparitively cheap how much diesel do you find you can mix with gasoline? I'm guessing 60% diesel would work. Also, have you measured mpg improvements with a diesel mix on the street? This question should probably be answered in another thread.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
In Texas at least, 3 wheeled vehicles are classified as motorcycles too.
I put 2 of my velomobiles on the page mentioned. CA. also put my 3 wheel City-el on motorcycle registration listing. I did not need a helmet or motorcycle license either, yet I still enjoy lower registration and cheaper insurance, hidden front wheel, convertible top, steering wheel- I am cheating the system!

I would not feel right putting a vehicle without pedals on that velomobile list!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post
Maybe there is no better way than to just get toxic with resins, but I too would like to see some.
bamboo, brown paper, and PVA (or something more organic?). Won't be real durable, but will be easy to fix.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
naturalextraction

Thanks guys! Great ideas. Thanks for the jpg. I've been looking at many bikes from Bonneville and some have some pretty tight designs however each design needs to accommodate the uniqueness of the bike itself, weight, height etc. As Bicycle Bob mentions keeping the air flow smooth and consistent is the challenge. I like the idea about perhaps incorporating some type of adjustable wing design on the front wheel itself and not loading the suspension. Thanks deraingedhermit. I've looked at a lot of Criags stuff and have met him, cool guy. Actually had to go look up that Helix shell, I had forgotten what it looked like. Not my cup of tea but understandable. I'm concerned about cross winds and want to use sides of the fairing to be somewhat sharp with convected areas where holes for cross winds to have some means of escaping while it not effecting the forward air stream and not creating to many internal (?) eddies. Thanks for the thought on that too. Something to keep in mind on design.
Beater911 if you go to Bonneville it's a hoot for a couple days anyway. Like a drag strip it can be a bit boring at times. But, man, are there some really amazing automobiles and technology there. Most everyone are very cool to talk with.
Oh, I run pure diesel in the engine. So far I've run it on E-85 (worst in mileage by the way) different octanes of gasoline, kerosene, and blends as you mentioned. It has run on vegetable oil, but that was a mess and was difficult to keep the oil at an optimum for combustion. It's easier at the pump to just put whatever, that was the idea. It burns clean based on the method in which the induction system design and fuel goes through a phase change prior to entering the induction system. But that gets off topic here.

I've tested many "theories" that are out there all over the net, but only if they had any scientific merit. I like working on the bikes as it made me down size and really work out details. It's a lot of fun and I have learned a lot without breaking any laws of physics or common sense thinking. I'm really looking forward to it this year, weather permitting.

Aerodynamics is going to have to be optimal and the best design for the bike to break the record. For my class it's 156+mph. I want to break 200mph. I've calculated I have just enough power and gearing providing I can squeeze through the air just right and not wipe out. We lost two motorcyclist last year. A little scary. I don't want to get to off topic here! Thanks guys for the welcome and suggestions.

Any links to those who have used a front wing mounted on the fender, wheel...?

Last edited by naturalextraction; 03-05-2009 at 04:28 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread