View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 05:00 PM   #566 (permalink)
NiHaoMike
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubie View Post
can't or don't? Or maybe I'm not human?

@Paul, don't let surface-mount stop you, there are many many benefits to surface mount.

If you are just worried about soldering to the surface-mount chip then get a Schmart board ( SchmartBoard - The world's best circuit prototyping system ) or a dip adapter and have somebody else do the SMD soldering.

SMD soldering isn't all that hard, you just need a steady hand, keen eye, and a nice sharp ~15watt iron. Here is my PCI-e x1 video card with a repair because I was over-zealous with the dremel.

I would have used a scalpel to remove the insulation over the damaged trace and then soldered a strand of wire across it. Keeping the signal lines as close to the same length as possible is very important in high frequency circuits.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...