View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #570 (permalink)
nubie
MAD Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
A better solution is to just take a piece of bare wire (AWG22 or so), heat it up with a soldering iron, and use it as a hot knife to open the back of the slot. Then you don't need to modify the card at all.
If you go to my photo album you will see that I did cut out the back of a PCIe x1 as well. It was the first step I took in trying the mod.

I figured it was better to modify a ~$20 video card than a ~$100 SLi motherboard (two x16 slots, and some x1 slots), so I can have 6 or more screens on one PC.

Also this card can be plugged into any motherboard instantly without voiding the motherboards warranty. As I have done several times already.

Honestly I am tired of discussing this, I did it two years ago and was fully aware of what I was doing.

In case you were wondering why, I realized that my single core PC could play back 3 HD streams simultaneously, and multi-core processors were becoming mainstream.

Also if you want to look into it there are several companies that will let you have multiple users and sessions on one machine, and I didn't care for PCI video cards as mentioned (they are 3 times the cost of the same chip on a PCIe bus, and getting more expensive all the time), not to mention the entire PCI bus is shared bandwidth and interrupts.