View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 01:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
It is a 3.1 MPFI (not the 3100), same thing they used in the early 90s Celebrity/6000, Cavalier/Sunbird, Corsica/Beretta, and Grand Prix and its siblings. Great engine with necksnapping low end torque. In the Celeb, I can climb steep hills in OD. During normal driving the engine barely has to work. They also run forever. One of the best engines GM ever made IMO.

I know I shouldn't let the battery just go dead over the winter, but I end up doing it anyway. I think about keeping it on the charger, then I end up using the charger for my snowplow car. Still it works well every summer and I bought it in Spring 2004, so at least I have gotten my money's worth out of it.

On the way home it was about 30F and there was a pretty good headwind. I got 32.5 to Lowes (about halfway), then 36.5 home, so about 34.5 average. Got the kammback base installed, hopefully I will have the shell done in the near future. That should help too. This weekend I gotta go downstate, hopefully the weather holds and I can drive it, hopefully I can get 40+ for the trip like I have done a few other times last year.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver