View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #1062 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Spring Fever!

I finally got a set of heavier springs.

Now I just have to cram them in there.

The Ford Ranger springs are about 3 inches longer than the Geo Metro springs.

I also found the the "pig-tail" on the Ranger springs is a much tighter circle than on the Metro, where it only pulls in a bit.

First, I tried compressing the Ranger spring with some ratchet straps. I was actually able to compress it pretty well with 3 straps used in parallel.

Still, no matter how hard I tried, I could not get the spring compressed enough to fit into the car.

Thinking about it all again, the Ranger springs are LONGER, they are also THICKER, and rated for a much greater total weight. That means that at the same LENGTH they should still carry more weight than the stock Metro springs.

I decided to attempt to cut one of the springs down to the height of the original spring. That way, it should fit in, but compress much less once the weight of the car is on it.

Using the angle grinder, I cut off a coil or two to match the height of the original spring.

I now had a giant pointy end on the spring! Now even MORE dangerous than before!

I cut off the "pig-tail" end so that I wouldn't have to deal with the strange small size. The rubber cup that the top end of the spring goes into fit the cut end OK. Not perfect, but close enough.

The spring now fit in without much work.

Once I re-attached the shock absorber, and mounted the tire, I lowered the car.

Visibly, the left side (with the new spring) was higher than the right. I measured from the pavement to the car body, centered on the hub cap. The left side measured 25.5 inches, and the right side (with the original spring with some of those little rubber things jambed in there) measured 24".

25.5 inches is about right for original ride height. Even if it isn't exactly, it LOOKS RIGHT.

So, I now had about an inch and a half lift compared to before. Pushing on the rear bumper, the car actually had a bit of bounce to it! Unlike before, when it was almost rock hard!

I went for a ride around the block. Other than the steering pulling a bit to the right, the car road really well. It felt like cornering was better than before as well. There were a few creaks from the spring at first. I think it was just settling into place.

I should be able to get the suspension finished off in time for Paul's Cougar Controller to show up.

144V is a lot to cram into a poor little Metro!

Hmmmm - Heart of a Forklift, Soul of a Cougar, Springs of a Ranger. This car certainly is building character.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos