View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 01:31 AM   #36 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inventhp View Post
And regarding diesels: Would not a diesel hybrid be a good idea. The diesel could run at its cleanest and most efficient speed and the electric motors could take care of acceleration when it is needed.

Mark / from Iowa
YES! My "Dream Car" for a while was the Citroƫn C4 Diesel-Hybrid. Rally-Racing meets Efficiency.

I know, a quirky French vehicle, but the only Diesel-Hybrid that I could find

Before the Low Sulfur mandate was imposed, emissions were, frankly, less-than-ideal. Major metros (especially in Europe -- like London) suffers from Diesel soot pollution. Respiratory problems are rampant in these environs -- primarily childhood Asthma.

I breathed the exhaust of a common-rail Diesel Ford F-350 Ambulance conversion and other large fire/EMS apparatus for 4+ years. You can feel the immediate effects of exposure.

The new Diesels are squeaky clean. An EPA report shows the reduction. Being around them is night and day. Little to no visible soot, reduced overall emission strategy. Good stuff.

Let's step back and look at the big picture. The solution isn't going to be all Diesel, all Ethanol, all Hybrid, Hydrogen, etc. -- but rather a combination of technologies.

I have to say, I've tested Ethanol, and right now, it's not environmentally responsible. FE drops, GHGs potentially increase, and the farming industry is stressed to meet demand (creating shortages of other crops, and increased runoff).

RH77

_
_