View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #54 (permalink)
Shawn D.
Harebrained Idea Skeptic

The White Car - '84 Mercedes-Benz 300td
90 day: 28.84 mpg (US)

The Blue Car - '86 BMW 535i
Last 3: 23.86 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Flyer View Post
Shawn D - read this account of a Dallas Morning News reporter riding with me 25 miles to work last summer and read what he had to say. Go ahead, and quote the times I was driving dangerously, or in contempt of the other traffic. The freeway I was on is posted at 60 - I was going 50. Could you explain why going 50 is legal, but 70-75 is not? Since you have asserted you are rational and dispassionate, I'm sure you can get out of that pickle, not to mention many big trucks are also going 50.

Again, read the article and find where the reporter thought I put his life in danger or thought my driving was shooting a birdie to the other drivers. If you can't find it, then explain why you would want to continue to say I do those things.
First off, I did not say a 50 vs. 60 MPH differential was dangerous -- I said a 45 vs. 75 MPH differential was dangerous. I am not going to change that statement or opinion. Note that in your very own link, this statement "Lt. Charles Epperson with the Dallas Police Department’s traffic division said it is potentially hazardous to drive so far under the speed limit."

Second, you obviously know I know why going under the speed limit is legal (if above the minimum) and why going over the speed limit is illegal. Why bother with that question?

Third, I don't consider a generic reporter to be an automotive authority, no more so than the "90%" of the masses you alluded to previously. A single 25-mile trip with no play-by-play obviously gives me little room to "quote the times (you were) driving dangerously, or in contempt of the other traffic," but if the majority of the traffic was having to deviate around you, that's contempt of traffic in my opinion. As for big trucks going 50, they have good reasons to go 50, depending on the circumstances (truck speed limits, grades).

I'm done with this. I hope for the sake of your fellow travellers that you don't get rear-ended due to your techniques.

FWIW, I've never honked or flashed at someone driving under the limit, unless they were hogging the left lane.