Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #51 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

elhigh and everybody,

Sorry about raising my voice. Maybe I reacted a bit quickly, but I've seen countless articles in the last two years of people talking as if hypermiling is clearly the most dangerous driving....but suspect it's actually the safest, but most hated...after all most people speed.

I've been thru a process to figure out how to clue in people to pass...anyone saying I'm holding others back more than maybe a few seconds (usually because they were inattentive) is simply lying - sorry. I've seen a number of reporters interview or ride with hypermilers only to throw them under the bus - it did not happen in my instance, so I'd challenge the OP why the reporter with me found no problem and got good results? ( http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....35fa7769.html )

My experience has been that the honkers/highbeamers often go out of their way to rage...all they had to do is pass.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #52 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
I intentionally choose my routes to have multiple lanes. That way, there's a lane to the left available for passing. When such a multi-lane route is not available, I will do other drivers the courtesy of speeding up as far as the speed limit, but no more.

As a driver is approaching from behind, a quick blink of the taillights or hazard lights will alert them to go ahead and change lanes. That way, they can plan ahead and are never hindered by my presence. They can continue at whatever speed they like, in the other lane.

If we are approaching a red light, I'll take my time getting there. Usually I can time it to keep rolling as it turns green. A driver behind me can be angry about it, but they would be leaving the intersection at exactly the same time with or without me - the red light makes sure of that.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 04-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #53 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Flyer View Post
My experience has been that the honkers/highbeamers often go out of their way to rage...all they had to do is pass.
Mine as well. It's as if they resent your very existence as a personal affront, when all you're doing is driving on the same road.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #54 (permalink)
Harebrained Idea Skeptic

The White Car - '84 Mercedes-Benz 300td
90 day: 28.84 mpg (US)

The Blue Car - '86 BMW 535i
Last 3: 23.86 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Flyer View Post
Shawn D - read this account of a Dallas Morning News reporter riding with me 25 miles to work last summer and read what he had to say. Go ahead, and quote the times I was driving dangerously, or in contempt of the other traffic. The freeway I was on is posted at 60 - I was going 50. Could you explain why going 50 is legal, but 70-75 is not? Since you have asserted you are rational and dispassionate, I'm sure you can get out of that pickle, not to mention many big trucks are also going 50.

Again, read the article and find where the reporter thought I put his life in danger or thought my driving was shooting a birdie to the other drivers. If you can't find it, then explain why you would want to continue to say I do those things.
First off, I did not say a 50 vs. 60 MPH differential was dangerous -- I said a 45 vs. 75 MPH differential was dangerous. I am not going to change that statement or opinion. Note that in your very own link, this statement "Lt. Charles Epperson with the Dallas Police Department’s traffic division said it is potentially hazardous to drive so far under the speed limit."

Second, you obviously know I know why going under the speed limit is legal (if above the minimum) and why going over the speed limit is illegal. Why bother with that question?

Third, I don't consider a generic reporter to be an automotive authority, no more so than the "90%" of the masses you alluded to previously. A single 25-mile trip with no play-by-play obviously gives me little room to "quote the times (you were) driving dangerously, or in contempt of the other traffic," but if the majority of the traffic was having to deviate around you, that's contempt of traffic in my opinion. As for big trucks going 50, they have good reasons to go 50, depending on the circumstances (truck speed limits, grades).

I'm done with this. I hope for the sake of your fellow travellers that you don't get rear-ended due to your techniques.

FWIW, I've never honked or flashed at someone driving under the limit, unless they were hogging the left lane.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #55 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Karma's playing field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
Mine as well. It's as if they resent your very existence as a personal affront, when all you're doing is driving on the same road.
What are the odds that one of these very people followed me for about 9 miles one night, beeping and flashing the whole way... I was doing the speed limit, which varied from 35 to 55 on country roads, and he continued to do this through 3 passing zones.

TaDa - the 4th passing zone, he accelerates like Oprah after a Twinkie, and passes me 100 feet before the passing zone. He snakes back in front of me, with a violent whipping motion, only to be greeted by a state trooper in the oncoming lane.

Before realizing that it was a trooper's cruiser in the oncoming, I was still being nice, and flashed my lights for him to get over. This actually alerted the cop to what was going on... LOL.

The cop turned about, and seemingly instantly hit speeds that I haven't seen in quite some time from my own vehicles, and had the guy stopped not 2 miles up the road.

Of course, I stopped to offer my recollection of the events at play.

Good and Bad do have Karma in common. Provide enough of either, and you'll most definitely get some back.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Shawn D,

I was hoping you might tone down, but that seems to be beyond you...even my acknowledgement that I might have drawn conclusions too quickly in your posts were returned with scorn.

I clearly defined my ride, and you dismiss a reporter from a major US paper? (maybe because he did not find anything to rip me over 25 miles as hoped he would? ) It's clear you mentally delete what you disagree with while overdoing selections you do agree with...you had to search for the Officer's remark...I'd bet he has a lot more work with high-speed crashes than low-speed ones, although earlier you seemed to say one is no more dangerous than the other.

It's strange that no hypermiling accidents have been in the news ever since it was reported two years ago....a reporter would pounce on that story. All my tickets and collisions were before hypermiling three years ago and there are a few members here that can testify to that.

At this point, I'm just letting you shout lame arguements and highly selective observations, oblivious that others will find them quite absurd....kind of like the AAA articles purpoting drafting semis as common hypermiling practice. Sad when someone dislikes something to the point they can't be honest while talking about it.

Last edited by Chuck.; 04-08-2009 at 12:15 AM..
Old 04-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #57 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
I think you have it backwards. You're supposed to increase the distance between the car in front of you and yourself by slowing down when tailgated, so in the event of an emergency you can brake/decelerate at a lower rate since the person behind you doesn't have crap for braking distances.
Yep, you are right; I checked today's wording and it says what you said. Coulda sworn it was the other way around when I got my license around 30 years ago... but that was a loooong time ago and my memory could be fading...
Old 04-07-2009, 11:06 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
The cop turned about, and seemingly instantly hit speeds that I haven't seen in quite some time from my own vehicles, and had the guy stopped not 2 miles up the road.

Of course, I stopped to offer my recollection of the events at play.
Christ you really oughtta try calling in and reporting wreckless driving. It is SO. . .thoroughly pleasing to watch a cop snap into a 180 degree turn on the road and haul past you to chase down someone you reported.

I usually only report on the interstate but there are some long roads with no turn offs that are reasonably well patrolled. Probably two months ago I called on a guy that came roaring passed me on his motorcycle( I was coasting just slightly above the speed limit(45 I was doing 46-47 and slowing). The cop had just turned on the road at the last turn off for a couple of miles and is headed my way while I am talking to dispatch. He waited till I passed him and then peeled around screeching and sliding lights on.

Biker was in handcuffs in the cruiser when I got there. Two cruisers blocked off the lanes and shoulder. I stopped to talk to the officer(I had to wait for them to unblock the road), he apparently tried to run and the other two were at a speed trap right by my apartment.

Impounded his bike. Haven't seen him in the local sunny bikers that drive down my road.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #59 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunchosen View Post
Christ you really oughtta try calling in and reporting wreckless driving. It is SO. . .thoroughly pleasing to watch a cop snap into a 180 degree turn on the road and haul past you to chase down someone you reported.
While I could easily do this, I have issue with only one part: I don't use my cell phone while driving. I'd have to have a passenger do it.

I have made exception to that rule on very few occasions, however, such as when there is a serious emergency, involving an accident, etc, or when traffic is backed up, to call and report problems to the traffic authority. (I'm only barely crawling up the road at this point, and could just as easily ghost-drive.)

In almost all situations, I pull over to answer my phone, if I feel that it's important enough to bother with now, as opposed to 15 minutes from now when I stop.

Once I get a bluetooth headset, I'll probably keep the PSP and county sheriff's office on speed dial though.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #60 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post

Once I get a bluetooth headset, I'll probably keep the PSP and county sheriff's office on speed dial though.
only downside to Bluetooth. . .is you never know who is calling without looking. . .so sometimes I answer people I am screening because I don't want to look down.

Undoubtedly my driving does suffer when I answer, but TN has no laws about it and the only near accidents I've ever had I wasn't on the phone. I'm much more snail like on the phone so I don't accidently do something stupid. I also put the phone down if I have to turn or change lanes or something. Driving straight on the interstate with little traffic I'm ok making phone calls, especially if I am on the verge of falling asleep.

Reply  Post New Thread