View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #823 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
My motor is a 10" 48V Nissan forklift drive motor.

I drove the car to the bank today. There are three roads that parallel each other out that direction. The middle one is flat, but the other two roads have BIG hills on them, which I have avoided in the Electro-Metro.

Since I and testing the Open Source Controller, I thought I would give it a try.

I went up the one hill to the bank, and up the even bigger one on the way back.

The car did great up the first hill - plenty of power and speed, didn't draw way too many amps.

The other hill is not only big, but LONG as well. To start up it, I was crusing at 35 mph at 100 amps. Going up the hill, my speed started to drop. I increased amps to keep speed constant. I got it up to a little less than 300 amps. Keep in mind that if this was at 72V, that it would have been 600 amps! Which my old controller (nor my batteries!) would not have been able to put out, especially not for very long!

I also tried another burn-out test. THIS TIME, I put on the parking brake! That back tires did still spin though. Not sure if that's because I couldn't pull the parking brake handle hard enough, or because of the 700 pounds of batteries directly over the rear axle!?

I also noticed that the "whine" seems to happen at around 250 amps while accelerating, NOT when maxing out the ammeter.

We need to investigate this "hurkey-jerky" thing the controller does while starting accelerating. It feels like the car doesn't know if it wants to go or not. From the drivers point of view, it's just not a good thing.

Also, anything we can do to "unleash" the amperage with this controller is good. I like on the Curtis that you can use a pot to adjust your throttle response and power output.

Overall, the controller is very nice. I'm mostly comparing it to the Curtis and Alltrax controllers that I have experience with.

The "burn-out" doesn't really look all that impressive. Several people online have already been making fun of the first one. I think part of it is that the video was shot at 24P, which sort of distorts the "time" of it. Also, there is NO ENGINE NOISE! If I dubbed in some really loud engine sound effects, I'm sure it would be much more impressive!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 04-09-2009 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: added video.