View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #1099 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
In the summer, I was able to do 20 miles with 6 batteries.

With 12 batteries, I should be able to do double that, BUT - I will want to go faster, AND I have the extra weight to carry, so I am expecting to be able to do 30+ miles.

My forklift motor is ENTIRELY STOCK from the forklift. (With the exception of new brushes, a coat of paint, and chopping off that tailshaft....)

It has NOT been re-timed, hod-rodded, or anything else.

I did talk to a motor guy a while back about even THINKING of running 144V through it. He asked if I would be able to get another motor to replace this one if anything went wrong. Yep, I should be able to. "Then go for it."

He also said that what I am doing is turning it into a "Rat Motor".

It's too bad that to change the timing on the motor, I would have to pull out the entire motor and transmission assembly.

There's not even enough room to get the motor and transmission apart from each other while in the car!

Also, the motor end support goes directly into the motor end cap. Rotating the end of the motor means that I wouldn't be able to hold up that end any more.

IF there is enough room, I could pull out the commutator end bolts, disconnect the motor support bolts, rotate the commutator end, drill new holes through the motor end support to match up where the bolt holes line up, THEN I would be able to change the timing without tearing the car completely apart!

I don't think I would have the space to tap new holes to pin the commutator end back in place though!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos