View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 06:42 AM   #86 (permalink)
The Atomic Ass
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Annoying other drivers tends to cause them to drive less efficiency, probably cancelling out any fuel savings on your part.

Driving slow and causing traffic to slow behind you, then have to change lanes, pass, and rejoin in front of you wastes a lot of additional fuel. You're creating a drag on the flow just like an object moving through a fluid.

Taking out your seats so you don't have to give someone a ride and lose mpg ends up in much more fuel use since they'll drive themselves.
Personally, I could care less whether they use more fuel or not, I'm not worried about them. My primary goal is reducing MY costs. I try to inform other drivers how their poor driving affects THEIR costs, only if they ask me why I drive the way I do. If they learn, good for them. If not, oh well.

Now this whole topic is leaned towards highway driving it would seem, but ALL of my driving now occurs on roads with speeds of 45mph or less. On these roads, when I notice stopped traffic or a red light ahead of me, I let out of the throttle at a calculated time to coast to a stop behind the traffic. And even then people feel the need to accelerate HARD around me, and then slam on the brakes far ahead of me.

Big picture: the faster they use up the gas, the sooner alternative-fuel vehicles become the norm. My electric car becomes cheaper with each passing barrel of oil.