Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #81 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
On another forum that I go to, we can thank people for their posts.. in their general info (to the left of the post), it has specs on how many times you've thanked someone, and how many thanks you've gotten yourself.

We need this. I'd like to thank Delta Flyer for the above post.
I would definitely give you negative thanks for ending story time before I fell asleep. . .

Just kidding

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #82 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
This morning I had someone flash their lights at me for not speeding in the right lane the way they were. The left lane was empty, and they had a clear 1/2 mile to see me as they approached. They could have noticed me and done a lazy lane change earlier, but chose to run right up behind me, flash the lights, the roar around in a huff.

Ya just can't help some folks.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 04-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #83 (permalink)
Harebrained Idea Skeptic

The White Car - '84 Mercedes-Benz 300td
90 day: 28.84 mpg (US)

The Blue Car - '86 BMW 535i
Last 3: 23.86 mpg (US)
Not to intentionally irritate Y'all, but I'm now having to drive faster to get better MPG due to a recent modification.

I used to be able to do 40 MPH in 45 zones in 5th gear, but now I have to do 50 in order to not lug the engine or hunt on/off the throttle after changing from a 3.46 diff to a 2.93 diff.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #84 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
This morning I had someone flash their lights at me for not speeding in the right lane the way they were. The left lane was empty, and they had a clear 1/2 mile to see me as they approached. They could have noticed me and done a lazy lane change earlier, but chose to run right up behind me, flash the lights, the roar around in a huff.

Ya just can't help some folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the hissed tailgater
WTH is this @#$#$% doing in my way!? He is making it dangerous for speeders on autopilot....I'll be all the later to the coffee pot when I finally wake up
Reminds me of a narcissistic co-worker that fancied himself a stand up comic....a dud when he tried, but was a tragic comedy when he was himself.

He would complain about inadequate benefits while spending half the day on personal business, complain about declining business, then stiff a waitress feigning a heart attack, whine about courtesy while being loud and off color, etc, etc...

Thank you for the kind remarks on my prior post...it's both my driving experiences and keeping track of all the hypermiling articles. Psychoanalysis is not my profession, but would imagine they would say the hypermiler-bashers are responding to a perceived threat
Old 04-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #85 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn D. View Post
Not to intentionally irritate Y'all, but I'm now having to drive faster to get better MPG due to a recent modification.

I used to be able to do 40 MPH in 45 zones in 5th gear, but now I have to do 50 in order to not lug the engine or hunt on/off the throttle after changing from a 3.46 diff to a 2.93 diff.
Definitely not irritated... actually glad you could find a way to be eco and fast...

Idjit drivers irritate me... good drivers (fast or slow) don't...
Old 04-14-2009, 06:42 AM   #86 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Annoying other drivers tends to cause them to drive less efficiency, probably cancelling out any fuel savings on your part.

Driving slow and causing traffic to slow behind you, then have to change lanes, pass, and rejoin in front of you wastes a lot of additional fuel. You're creating a drag on the flow just like an object moving through a fluid.

Taking out your seats so you don't have to give someone a ride and lose mpg ends up in much more fuel use since they'll drive themselves.
Personally, I could care less whether they use more fuel or not, I'm not worried about them. My primary goal is reducing MY costs. I try to inform other drivers how their poor driving affects THEIR costs, only if they ask me why I drive the way I do. If they learn, good for them. If not, oh well.

Now this whole topic is leaned towards highway driving it would seem, but ALL of my driving now occurs on roads with speeds of 45mph or less. On these roads, when I notice stopped traffic or a red light ahead of me, I let out of the throttle at a calculated time to coast to a stop behind the traffic. And even then people feel the need to accelerate HARD around me, and then slam on the brakes far ahead of me.

Big picture: the faster they use up the gas, the sooner alternative-fuel vehicles become the norm. My electric car becomes cheaper with each passing barrel of oil.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #87 (permalink)
Harebrained Idea Skeptic

The White Car - '84 Mercedes-Benz 300td
90 day: 28.84 mpg (US)

The Blue Car - '86 BMW 535i
Last 3: 23.86 mpg (US)
Some fuel for the safety discussion fire.

Actually, it should be an extinguisher for the discussion.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #88 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Yaris? - '08 Toyota Yaris LB
Team Toyota
90 day: 41.87 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to robbiewt
That web page makes a good case for lowering speed limits. I bet most drivers wouldn't like that.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #89 (permalink)
In hypermiler central

[SOLD] Highway Warrior - '00 Mazda Protege LX 1.6L Manual
90 day: 35.93 mpg (US)

Basic Miata - '06 Mazda Miata Touring
90 day: 30.93 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atomic Ass View Post
Personally, I could care less whether they use more fuel or not, I'm not worried about them. My primary goal is reducing MY costs. I try to inform other drivers how their poor driving affects THEIR costs, only if they ask me why I drive the way I do. If they learn, good for them. If not, oh well.

Now this whole topic is leaned towards highway driving it would seem, but ALL of my driving now occurs on roads with speeds of 45mph or less. On these roads, when I notice stopped traffic or a red light ahead of me, I let out of the throttle at a calculated time to coast to a stop behind the traffic. And even then people feel the need to accelerate HARD around me, and then slam on the brakes far ahead of me.

Big picture: the faster they use up the gas, the sooner alternative-fuel vehicles become the norm. My electric car becomes cheaper with each passing barrel of oil.
You're my hero.

2006 Miata Touring 5MT
2006 VW Jetta TDI 6AT (Sold to buy Miata)
2000 Mazda Protege 1.6L 5MT
2002 Mercedes C230 Coupe 5AT (Water damage, totaled)

DeepScale
Old 04-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #90 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
The Atomic Ass - since the feature isn't available yet, I'd like to
THANK YOU
for that post.

Although part of my daily responsibilities include helping others as often as possible, my family still comes first. If I were forced to spend more money than I actually have to, for any reason, I feel as though that would be a direct impact to my family.

Those who would ask me to speed up are essentially asking me to starve my child. Would you ask your neighbor to stop feeding his dog, so you could get to work 15 minutes late instead of 30? (Go ahead, you can make the correlation.)

Think about it this way, people who drive faster than I, with no concern for saving fuel or conserving resources: The longer people like me save them, the longer it will take for you to burn through them. We're still doing you a favor, even if you won't ever acknowledge it.

To those who don't wish to live like we, but are sincere in life, and respect the way we live ours, many thanks to yourselves, as well.

Reply  Post New Thread