View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #43 (permalink)
MazdaMatt
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
kayaker... I can't give you much credibility for your post... you say you live in a snowbelt, but you stay home in 3 inches of snow? You say winter tires do nothing, but in Quebec (where 3 inches of snow is considered a frost) 40% of all winter accidents are caused by the 10% of people that did not put on snow tires... then it was made law that you must have snow tires in that province during the winter.

If you have any trouble in snow under 6 inches deep, you need good snow tires first. If you still have trouble, you need driver training. If you STILL have trouble, you should probably go buy a subaru or just stay home cuz winter ain't your thing.

Personally, i LOVE driving in snow so deep that my car is actually ploughing it with the bumper. It is fun. When things get hairy, you just add more gas. My daily drive takes me down a road that has been "closed" (still accessible, but unploughed). The blizzards we get here don't leave us with only 3 inches of snow... that was really fun. The steep bridge over the highway was a little hairy, but more throttle solved that!

btw, i have my front tires cambered in from autocross, so my alignment is not very pro-winter.