View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #46 (permalink)
wwkayaker
EcoModding Lurker

Kayak hauler - '05 Mitsubishi Lancer ES
90 day: 33.88 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
Okay, i see your point, but i'd still contend that my light weight FWD vehicle with relatively low clearance (low enough to bumper-plough on my drive home) is plenty good on my 4-year-old el' cheapo winter tires.

As for weight being good... that's just silly... you have more lateral momentum to contend with in a heavier vehicle. You also have more snow-cutting ability. So it literally balances out. I always see more people in pickup trucks losing control than cars.
No argument with that! Also, Protege's have always been great in the snow with snow tires. The only time my 99 Protege (7 inches of clearance) got stuck was in 13 inches of snow on a hill on an unplowed, back road in south central Missouri and I just had all season tires (that part of Missouri doesn't get much snow). I ended up walking the last 50 ft to my friend's house. My friend drove us back in his Subaru AWD outback with snow chains (his driveway was very steep at the last 25 - 30 ft).

As for SUV and pickup trucks, they have the invulnerability complex effect I never understood or had a 4x4 as it pertains to most people (there are exceptions for farmers, loggers, etc. who really need 4x4). It is a waste of gas and money for most people in my point of view since I could go the same places and do the same things in a 2wd truck that most people do in 4x4s.