View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
doviatt
Master EcoModder

Grey Goose (Retired) - '89 Geo Metro LSI 4 door hatch back
Last 3: 57.16 mpg (US)

Tweety - '91 Geo Metro Convertible -2 Door convertible LSI
Team Metro
90 day: 43.97 mpg (US)

Shadow - '02 Honda Shadow VT1100
90 day: 43.46 mpg (US)

Sonic - '07 Honda CBR1000RR
90 day: 42.69 mpg (US)

Filmore - '84 Volkswagen Vanagon
90 day: 20.9 mpg (US)
Smile noob's first 5MPG increase. I'm hooked. This is cool.

I've had my Metro just over a month and have been an ecomodder for only a couple of weeks. My work on this car so far has been just to get it drivable. The last few weeks I have been collecting baseline MPG data with hopes for slow, meager improvements. I just made my first changes and my results were a lot bigger than I expected.

The changes were:
1) removed wiper arms. I have tried this before but it ALWAYS snowed the next day so they went back on. This time they stayed off all week.
2) removed passenger side mirror. I do still need to fabricate a nice looking cover for the hole. I have some plastic to use and I'll shape it up this weekend.
3) Increased tire pressure from 35psi to 48psi. I'm thinking this made the biggest benefit. It just seems to roll a lot better and farther with this change.
I do realize this is only one tank but I do think I can keep this as my new baseline for next set of improvements.

I'm so glad I found this site and all of the information it provides. The conversations regarding testing and results helps me to understand what is worth paying attention to. I'm a happy hypermiler.