TBD: 2017 Toyota Corolla LE
Displacement: 1.8 L
Fuel type: gasoline
Transmission: CVT
Curb weight: 2870 lbs
Coefficient of drag: 0.29
Frontal area: 22.5 sq.ft.
Instrumentation:
Description: I'm pretty bad about quantifying gains, and I don't have a MPG-sympathetic route to work any longer; it's all City. My mods are small, and taken singularly, probably insignificant. However, I'm taking a pretty conservative route (conservative inasmuch as my mods should produce results and not the opposite) and hoping that taken together, they'll produce a "death by 1000 cuts" affect.
Build Thread: 2017 Toyota Corolla LLE aero mods
Current Mods: >>Factory spoiler added (part of the drag reduction kit of the LE Eco trim level)

>>Purchased and installed LE Eco front underfloor (splash shield)

>>Small grill blocker L & R, middle radiator inlet. Upper slit inlet has been completely blocked too.

>>Small grill blocker centerline, doubling size of factory one that was already there, middle radiator inlet.

>>Underfloor covers ahead of front tire spats to eliminate ugly-aero concavity

>>Added small underbody in-fill panel in area where underside tow hook used to reside.

Planned Mods: In no particular order:

>>Air curtain! Love these, so I'm sketching one up to print that attaches at existing points just underneath the front of the car where the tire deflector is mounted and then is offset the front fender ahead of the front tires. Harder to do than it looks inasmuch as the CAD for the part is straight forward, the hard part is accurately documenting the attachment surfaces so that the thing fits! This part is causing me fits.

>>Proper radiator inlet ducting?

>>Flush wheel covers

>>Covers for faux fog-light area

>>Side skirts

>>Clean up front lower suspension control arm (fill hole, add round leading edge and trailing edge)?

>>Further modifications to rear spoiler, add an extension and sharpen the trailing edge (after being rear ended 11/2019 I'm at a reset with this one, and now I'm starting with the factory spoiler)

>>Add separation edge to area just above rear tail light; altogether Toyota generally seems to have done a pretty good job regarding this detail at the rear of the car, this would be the one area they didn't produce an edge and I suspect it was styling driven.

>>Fit Corolla LE Eco underfloor? It has a purchase in price though of close to $400 (4 panels, roughly $100 each). For what they are yes, I have the skills to make them. However, working on the bottom of the car isn't my favorite area to work (it certainly is the most profitable though!). So if there's a known purchaseable solution...I'm considering it as much as it goes against my principles. Naturally I've considered the pull-a-part route, but what I'm finding is that NO ONE purchased the LE Eco version of the Corolla. Never seen one in the flesh and it never comes up in pull-a-part searches.

>>Clean up leading edge step of A-pillar where the wind shield glass is inset relative to the A-pillar. From what I understand, the insetting of the windshield is driven a lot by the aeroacoustic guys. Every car out there has this feature where the wind shield is not flush with the A-pillar. Asking around at work and I understand it has something to do with buffeting noise, so they intentionally separate the airflow rolling around the A-pillar by insetting the wind shield. Basically the step changes the angle of the airflow such that it doesn't interact with the side window. BUT, this may be a condition that occurs only when the side window is down; a situation I never entertain. So some experimentation may be needed to insure buffeting isn't an issue in normal conditions.
Official Fuel Economy Ratings
EPA city 28 mpg(US)
EPA highway 36 mpg(US)
EPA combined 32 mpg(US)

Actual Fuel Economy Performance
Lifetime 33.08 mpg(US)
Last 3 tanks 33.8 mpg(US)
90 days 40.79 mpg(US)
View Fuel Log
Last updated: Dec 31, 2022

(Created: 2019-04-18 21:48:36 / Modified: 2023-01-07 11:25:20)