||2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GL
|Coefficient of drag:
||Bought to replace Greta, whom was rudely rear ended.
3rd owner. Actually a few months older than Greta.
Came with missing factory plastic belly pan under the engine, lower fender side covers that enclose the engine and connect to the belly pan semi-missing. This seems to be a theme here...
- EGR deleted
- Turbo and engine seem in better condition than Greta, so the car is peppier, and gets up to cruising speed faster than her.
MGP neutral or -:
- Schmancy-fancy BBS rims with wider tires. At least sidewall max psi is 52 vs 44 for stock tires, so keeping them up near 50psi is a priority for tire wear and improved mileage.
- No A/C on the GL model. It also has roll-up windows instead of power, and no power mirrors (Miss the power/heated mirrors more, of the two). Minor weight reduction.
- Subwoofer box in trunk. Came with the car. Probably negates the weight reduction of no A/C / power contraptions in the doors, but improves weight distribution. Probably not going to stay.
||Scanguage II Transferred from Greta the Jetta.
1/3 coroplast rad block in place, also borrowed from Greta.
1) Replace cracked windshield. Sure, this won't be a big aero change from cracked to not, but if it goes between with NO windshield/smashed and crazed windshield, mileage and comfort will be reduced.
2) Get an aftermarket aluminum skidplate. Lost 3 oilpans on Greta over her lifetime, this is needed for potholes and debris, even more than for the underbody aero improvement.
3) Install a 2/3 coroplast rad block like Greta had, since it worked well in most weather/temperature conditions, and is removable without too much hassle.
4) Fix underbody so that stock wheel wells, and stock panels are replaced, less the stock under-engine panel already covered by 2).
5) Grill blocks integrated into/with OEM covers for driver's side (horn), upper grilll (less area for engine intake)
6) Get a full set of OEM wheel covers for the winter tires using stock 15" steelies.
Further Future (need a garage where I can fab things):
1) Full undertray, in stages. Permanent panels will likely be a fibreglass/foam composite, like 3-Wheeler's Insight undertray. Will improve/strengthen where jack points are located.
2) Rear Wheel Skirts. This car is satin black at the moment, so colour matching is easy now: BLACK, just like I was planning to complement Greta's silver before.
Far Future (need an appropriate space, or tools yet):
1) Rig up a CFD model so I can test commercial mods, so I don't blow a whack of cash on things with dubious benefit. All mentioned mods after this will go ahead pending model verification, with less silly wild-ass guessing.
2) VW OEM part swaps:
- Stubby Mirrors
- Power folding mirrors a-la-Passat
4) Internal ducting before and/or aft of the radiator.
5) Rear window roof Kammback or spoiler (depending on how large it needs to be...)
6) Aero trailer (for those long halfway-across-Canada trips)
7) Electro-mechanical improvements:
-- ECU tune for mileage
-- Active grill blocks (speed/temp sensitive)
-- Rear view/front view cameras
|Official Fuel Economy Ratings
|Actual Fuel Economy Performance
|Last 3 tanks
|View Fuel Log
Last updated: Jul 19, 2014