Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2021, 02:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Eco taco - '21 Toyota Tacoma Sr access cab
90 day: 22.72 mpg (US)
Also I should have noted that after a couple of thousand miles that high speed city driving is proving to be more efficient mpg wise then highway. What I mean by high speed is like 35-40 mph. 25 is decent also but mostly where I live it's 30-40 average. I will also say it's way easier to drive it efficiently in the city with how it coasts to a stop and the gearing. Highway it seems it can't decide what gear it wants to be in 5th or 6th alot of the time with slight inclines and stuff. I do believe 6th may be too much gear and not enough engine to effectively stay in it which alot of Tacoma owners will say also. to combat this I will be switching my focus to more aero then weight for now. I was looking at (when money permits) investing in a aluminum skid plate that more acts like a belly pan for at least half the truck which should clean up underneath alot. I also have been looking into adding a stealth light bar. It goes behind the lower grill and basically acts like a grill block or at least I plan on maybe modifying it so it completely blocks the air also. Currently I have an almost full upper grill block for the winter but a permeant lower that has an additional function would be way better for year round. I don't plan on towing since I got the 6 foot bed so I won't worry about adding the hitch or anything too. That's my update on my plan so far

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-22-2022, 03:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I know this is old now. I have the same truck but a 2019. Same goals. Don’t wanna do crazy aero stuff or ruin my truck being a truck.

Like another user mentioned, I’m lowered with the SOS kit. I have not done an alignment yet. Put about 600 miles on it so far. I also have a WAI with a cone filter and tires are at 40psi. That’s about it so far. I can get 26mpg on the highway averaging 70mph. Mostly dead footing it. No cruise. No PNG.

Next step is shorter tires to lower it a bit more and effectively lower my cruising gear to reduce shifting on the highway. Then a header with exhaust wrap and a partial grill block.

Have you done anything else so far that’s helped?
Old 01-25-2024, 05:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Truckoma - '09 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab
I've noticed that 40-50 mph seems to be the sweet spot for any stock Toyota trucks I've driven. Although that was mostly manual transmission trucks, so could be put it in the highest gear and just cruise at low rpm.

It's probably a high enough speed that the engine still has some power in highest gear, but low enough so that aerodynamics isn't hurting too much.

Interestingly most manual toyota trucks seem to have lower mpg EPA figures then their automatic counter part, I'm guessing it has to do with final drive ratios
Old 01-26-2024, 02:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersketchman View Post
Next step is shorter tires to lower it a bit more and effectively lower my cruising gear to reduce shifting on the highway.
Old post, but I would not go smaller diameter wheels/tires, as truck gear ratios already tend to run too high RPM at highway cruise. Anything to bring the RPM down at steady cruise.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Reply  Post New Thread