Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Smile Ecomods for truck

I spent many hours modding my old ford ranger, mostly to no avail.

You can do all sorts of mods to the trucks to squeeze one or two mpg's out of the truck more than you could get by just easy driving style.

If you make all the said mods to a truck, such as lowering truck height, removing stock bed, tapering the bed from all directions, adding all sorts of bells and whistles, you might end up with a very economical vehicle (but not a truck).

I found that in the end after all the ecomods I did to my truck I increased mpg by aprox 10-15%. Not bad, but would have been much better if I had bought a smaller car, and left the truck for being a truck.

It's real simple. Lighter weight equals more mpg's. Trucks aren't light weight. They don't generally get good gas mileage. You can make them lighter, and more aerodynamic, but then you don't have a useful truck.

Bite the bullet my friend, either drive a small truck and get 25 mpg max on average, but certainly not when the truck is loaded with stuff (i.e. when it is being used as a truck), OR buy a smaller car, and get better mpg's. OR use a big truck when you need it and something smaller when you don't need the truck OR if you are really desperate for great mpg's ride a bicycle, walk, take the bus, train, or carpool.

Don't waste your time and money modding a truck into something which gets good mpg's but ain't a truck!

Good Luck with your endeavours!

The Following User Says Thank You to landscaper52 For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (11-10-2009)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by landscaper52 View Post
Bite the bullet my friend, either drive a small truck and get 25 mpg max on average, but certainly not when the truck is loaded with stuff (i.e. when it is being used as a truck),
I get 25mpg on average with a full size (technically commercial) truck, using it 90% "as a truck", fully loaded (for work hauling and moving)
And I haven't done anything to lower the weight, haven't modded the bed in anyway, and haven't lowered it (yet - that one will be done as soon as I can afford it).

Its best to use a small car whenever possible (or a bike better yet) - the OP did say this is the families 2nd vehicle, meant to be used as a truck. No reason not to get the best mileage possible those times when you do need 3 tons of hauling capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #23 (permalink)
Grasshopper

Makai - '01 Toyota Echo 4D Auto
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)

New Galaxy - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)
the way i look at it

is that an extra car (regardless of price, even FREE)
always cost at least $700 due to insurance/registration

does that extra $700 warrant a truck youll use 1/month? or 1/6 months

25 mpg in a truck sounds great to me.
an aerocap might increase that by 3mpg(?)
but unless its done on the cheap, it might/might not be worth it
Old 11-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

To Jacobaziza

Wow...

Thats amazing about your full size truck! You really should tell Chevy, Ford, GM, Toyota, and Nissan, and all other makers of full size trucks about your record breaking mpg's...25 on average 90% loaded...was it the truck that was loaded or you?

I've never heard of a full size getting more than 20 average, while fully loaded, with no mods, as you say.

I'm sure the engineering dept's of those companies would be more than happy to hear how you were able to accomplish this feat...downhill w/ a tailwind, and no brakes? 90% loaded with air? what's the secret? inquiring minds wanna know!

Old 11-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Trigger - '07 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Coupe
Team Mustang
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.76 mpg (US)

Big Red (retired) - '89 Ford F-250 4wd Custom
90 day: 18.13 mpg (US)

Big Red II - '13 Ford F-150 FX4
Pickups
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Wow...

Thats amazing about your full size truck! You really should tell Chevy, Ford, GM, Toyota, and Nissan, and all other makers of full size trucks about your record breaking mpg's...25 on average 90% loaded...was it the truck that was loaded or you?

I've never heard of a full size getting more than 20 average, while fully loaded, with no mods, as you say.

I'm sure the engineering dept's of those companies would be more than happy to hear how you were able to accomplish this feat...downhill w/ a tailwind, and no brakes? 90% loaded with air? what's the secret? inquiring minds wanna know!

As Jacob has explained a number of times, the "secret" was his driving technique. The truck was loaded; he was not. He could tell the manufacturers how he got the fuel economy he got, but the manufacturers couldn't give the back end of a rat how people drive their vehicles. They're not affiliated with the Department of Education.

It's up to you how you choose to drive.

I've only gotten inside EPA's 2008 revised city/highway estimates once with my 2007 Mustang. I tell the service department at the local Ford dealer about my MPG "problem" when I take it in for service. They just smile, and say, "That's great!" They're glad I have that "problem".

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just 'cuz you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Is this ecomodder, or truthmodder?

C'mon guys...I've been driving trucks of all sizes for 30+ years now, and I've never seen a full size truck, loaded, get 25 mpg ever.

Unless you take that full size and load it on the back of an 18 wheeler, no one is getting that mpg out of a fullsize truck, it just aint happening.

Unless your driving style is engine not turned on, coasting down a hill, or parked in your garage it just ain't kosher.

It's a nice thought, but it defies logic, engineering, and truth.

As PT Barnum said many times...
Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #27 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
C'mon guys...I've been driving trucks of all sizes for 30+ years now, and I've never seen a full size truck, loaded, get 25 mpg ever.

Unless you take that full size and load it on the back of an 18 wheeler, no one is getting that mpg out of a fullsize truck, it just aint happening.

Unless your driving style is engine not turned on, coasting down a hill, or parked in your garage it just ain't kosher.

It's a nice thought, but it defies logic, engineering, and truth.

As PT Barnum said many times...
It defies your logic, engineering, and truth.

What reason does the guy have to lie? To impress a bunch of people he's never met, many of whom don't even think twice about his existence on a daily basis?

Maybe you're into that, but I doubt anyone whose here in a serious capacity really would even bother. Your fuel logs are for you, not to brag and blah blah. If you don't believe him, I guess that's your given right, but to say that "it defies logic, engineering, and truth" is just plain false. It's sentiments like that that keep people in the dark when it comes to getting more bang for their fuel bucks.

By the way, he gets a 30% bonus right off the bat... he's got a diesel.

Gee, what's 20MPG plus another 30%?? Hm... guess he was right.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #28 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I've seen guys make similar mileage claims for their gassers and my response is similar- they are full of it. But in this case, it's a diesel and you could practically outrun the guy the way he drives.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #29 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I dunno, my only running Ford's economy is rated in GPH, not MPG. It's an F-series that gets used for a tractor more than anything. i don't think that trans has seen second gear in more than a year.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Guys in full size GM pickups do NOT get 25 mpg, I don't care what they say.

Reply  Post New Thread