Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2022, 04:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Passat TDI Wagon - '97 VW Passat Wagon TDI
90 day: 55.81 mpg (US)

Blue - '21 Hyundai Sonata Blue
90 day: 53.79 mpg (US)
I could see that the corolla would get better mileage if it could utilize the battery and electric motor more during normal driving. Your maximum gas mileage would occur on a trip if your battery was close to empty when you stop.

When I looked at the Toyota Hybrids, the Prius Eco (same drive train as the corolla hybrid LE) had an EPA rating of 58 mpg highway. Which makes sense with the lower CD of 0.24.

306k miles
Scan Gauge II
full belly pan
26 gallon tank
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-07-2022, 03:06 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddylackn View Post
I could see that the corolla would get better mileage if it could utilize the battery and electric motor more during normal driving. Your maximum gas mileage would occur on a trip if your battery was close to empty when you stop.

When I looked at the Toyota Hybrids, the Prius Eco (same drive train as the corolla hybrid LE) had an EPA rating of 58 mpg highway. Which makes sense with the lower CD of 0.24.
Prius eco is 58 CITY, not highway. It’s highway is 53. I just looked it up. Again, makes no sense with the lower drag!
Old 08-08-2022, 11:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
EPA 'Highway'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
idk. they are very similar when parked near each other

whats even more weird, is even though the epa says my ioniq is 59 or 60 for highway, and the corolla hybrid is 52, in the real world, my girlfriends corolla hybrid gets 68 mpg on the same stretch of highway that my MODDED ioniq with rear wheel covers and no mirrors gets 65. her corolla hybrid also gets better city than my ioniq, even though the ioniq is rated higher

a lot of '' real world'' reviews usually show toyota hybrids getting higher mpg than the epa, while the ioniq gets lower in the real world than epa. its very weird. i almost wish i had just gotten a modern prius or prius prime. those wouldve been easier to aero mod too... better flat floors to start with, a rear diffuser to extend and build upon, TRD already offers factory aero mods, wheel covers can be added since prius doesnt even use smooth wheels, and so on and so on
EPA Highway is achieved on a dyno, it's not the 'real world.'
All hybrid owners are tasked with finding a steady speed, on a flat, dry, windless road, that returns the EPA HWY value.
It's got to have absolutely zero complemented power from the hybrid system.
And from there on out, all 'highway' testing needs to be conducted on that stretch of road, at that same speed, under the same conditions, except for the 'shape'.
The ONLY variable allowed is the 'shape'. Otherwise the numbers are 'garbage.'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS, if all the Toyota hybrids have CVT, then they will have a decisive BSFC advantage over non-CVT cars.
We've been warned by the experts that, we can lose up to 30% of streamlining advantage if we don't gear-match the car, load-for-load.

Last edited by aerohead; 08-08-2022 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: add PS
Old 08-08-2022, 05:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
EPA Highway is achieved on a dyno, it's not the 'real world.'
All hybrid owners are tasked with finding a steady speed, on a flat, dry, windless road, that returns the EPA HWY value.
It's got to have absolutely zero complemented power from the hybrid system.
And from there on out, all 'highway' testing needs to be conducted on that stretch of road, at that same speed, under the same conditions, except for the 'shape'.
The ONLY variable allowed is the 'shape'. Otherwise the numbers are 'garbage.'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS, if all the Toyota hybrids have CVT, then they will have a decisive BSFC advantage over non-CVT cars.
We've been warned by the experts that, we can lose up to 30% of streamlining advantage if we don't gear-match the car, load-for-load.
so youre saying that cvt is better than hyundais '' dual clutch'' transmission?
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 06:01 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

better?

Quote:
so youre saying that cvt is better than hyundais '' dual clutch'' transmission?
I believe it to be so, as far as mpg goes. The Hyundai would require a 12-speed to be at parity with it, according to Ricardo Engineering, who did the research.
It's the reason CVTs were designed, to keep the engine near it's peak BSFC island of efficiency.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I believe it to be so, as far as mpg goes. The Hyundai would require a 12-speed to be at parity with it, according to Ricardo Engineering, who did the research.
It's the reason CVTs were designed, to keep the engine near it's peak BSFC island of efficiency.
so its based on load? that would explaid why if i have a MILD tailwind ( nothing crazy) and i have my car on cruise controll, i can be going 80 miles per hour and my mpg will skyrocket to like 70-75 mpg! the mpg boosts big time. even better than going 55-60mph with no wind at all
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 11:35 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

tailwind

Quote:
so its based on load? that would explaid why if i have a MILD tailwind ( nothing crazy) and i have my car on cruise controll, i can be going 80 miles per hour and my mpg will skyrocket to like 70-75 mpg! the mpg boosts big time. even better than going 55-60mph with no wind at all
Theoretically, if the engine remained at a constant BSFC, and you drive in a tailwind, compared to 'calm,' you'd simply take your road speed and subtract the tailwind velocity to arrive at the 'apparent wind' that the IONIQ is experiencing.
Since the BSFC is 'constant' your mpg is going to just track the change in the aero portion of the road load.
Rolling resistance is unaffected.
Take the ratio of the cubes of your 'apparent' speed, divided by your speedometer speed, and multiply your original aero horsepower portion by that fraction to get your new aero load.
Add that back to the R-R horsepower ( which hasn't changed ), and you have the new road load in a tailwind.
Factor for your powertrain and accessories efficiency to get the new brake-horsepower being consumed.
Multiply that by your BSFC.
That gives you pounds fuel/hour at that speed.
Divide that by 6.138-pounds/gallon ( REGULAR E10 ) to get your gallons.
Divide your distance in an hour by the new gallons to spit out the new mpg.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:40 PM   #28 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Fiat Cinquecento, not a Metro, but still...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1Cinq.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	32898  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-26-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 04:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Ed Roth's Surfite

justacarguy.blogspot.com/2014/01/ed-roths-surfite-was-at-grand-national.html

Quote:
https://www.hotcars.com › sickest-custom-cars-by-ed-roth
These Are The Sickest Custom Cars Built By Ed Roth
24 Feb 20215 Surfite via Hagerty In tune with the surfing trend of the 60s, Ed Roth built an innovative yet ideal machine for beach fun-seekers and called it the Surfite. The car is fitted with a chrome-plated 1,269cc Austin power plant from a Mini Cooper but has no bubble top. via Concept Carz
It coulda been a Metro.

Old 11-26-2023, 10:18 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Fifteen years ago, I bought a '91 3/5 Chevy Sprint with a bad oil habit and not much compression. I planned to rebuild it with an XFI cam. Three separate deals on one fell through, and my other Metro quit, so I went ahead and did the rings and valves anyway this summer. She is now running well again. I'm wondering how to update the listing under my Avatar. I'm moving the interior over from the four-door, which is a full RV for one person, as written up in Rolling Homes by Shelter Publications.
Right now, I've got a folding passenger side mirror off a Swift in the shop, getting a little fiberglass fairing to streamline the front of it when folded. I'll post pics. However, I'm also wondering what other easy mods have proven effective. Are the extended Suzuki rocker panels worth re-creating or improving? I've got a spare hatch I could build something pretty special on, too.