Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #101 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
There are other AT-equipped vehicles that you can coast with the engine off without destroying the trans. The key words to look for in the owner's manual are "flat towing". If the car can safely be towed with all four wheels on the ground, then it is safe to coast with the engine off. If it cannot be towed with the drive wheels on the ground, you're taking chances if you do engine-off coasting.

-soD
True, i didn't even think about that, though the location of the pump could be the reasoning in those cases, checking the manual would be a good way to know for sure

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-07-2011, 04:23 AM   #102 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Crawrolla - '11 Toyota Corolla S
Hi everyone,

I'm new on the this site and I'm intrigued by this topic. Before I purchased my Toyota, I was looking at the Hyundai's. I was wondering how they were able to generate more horsepower and better fuel economy. I think the culprit is they have a "smart alternator". Its the same methedology you guys are trying to accomplish.

I have less than 5 post so I'm unable to attach links or pics. Google Hyundai Smart Alternator and a lot of articles will show. I couldn't whether its controlled at the alternator or a relay.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #103 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I think that it would be much simpler to make a mechanism to enable / disable alternator manualy from a button inside the car..when battery goes empty, you enable the alternator, until it fills up

Last edited by carbloggergr; 10-05-2011 at 04:05 PM..
Old 10-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #104 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbloggergr View Post
I think that it would be much simpler to make a mechanism to enable / disable alternator manualy from a button inside the car..when battery goes empty, you enable the alternator, until it fills up
Ah, it would be simpler, but the point of this thread is how to automate the process. Why? Because the driver doesn't always remember to pay attention to the battery voltage, or the car may be borrowed by someone who doesn't know (or doesn't want to know) about any buttons that need to be pressed.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 12-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #105 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
I've read whole thread and have few ideas. First checking voltage to check if battery is drained it's great but to check what's the status during charge cycle requires to disconnect battery from the power source. But there's slightly different thing that can be done. You can measure the charging current and if it will drop below specified value you can turn off your alternator.
And another thought just to turn on alternator during engine breaking, it can be done easily with a preasure switch since during engine breaking mainfold pressure hits the lovest values. Isn't it?

I think even if the FE % gain is small it's worth to think of because every bit counts.

For sure I won't delete alternator in my Previa, because this car is used mostly for longer trips. And to carry deep cycle baterries that will last for 1000+ kilometers will kill my FE anyway But again if we could automate the process of charging battery I think I would go for it. I'll try to find out if my alternator can be easily switched off and I'll try to figure it out how to automate this process in my car.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 12-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #106 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Mercedes 89 D - '89 Mercedes 300 E
90 day: 33.86 mpg (US)

Skodie - '09 Skoda Octavia TDI PD
90 day: 38.84 mpg (US)

1993 Mercedes 300D Turbo - '93 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo W124
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 9.61 mpg (US)

90 day: 33.34 mpg (US)
All new BMW´s has it, so it is a good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
All new BMWs have this.
Green Car Congress: BMW Introduces Intelligent Alternator Control with Regenerative Braking; Reduces Fuel Consumption by About 4%
Pair it with a deep cycle battery and you have yourself a winner.
I agree !

Go for it and share with us all.

Oldbeaver
Old 12-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #107 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Knight - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 58.53 mpg (US)
my idea would be to modify a smart battery tender. it already sees the battery and turns the charger on and off as needed. just need to find a way to put a relay in it big enough for an alternator relay.

altering this might be promising

http://www.electronicsforu.com/elect...tor.pdf&title=

Last edited by deathtrain; 12-08-2011 at 10:26 PM..
Old 12-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #108 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Knight - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 58.53 mpg (US)
ok I talked to an E tech and he came up with we can build a circuit that will close a relay once a lower level is hit. the only issue is that once the alternator kicks in the upper levels will trip and then the whole system will just ping pong. he said the only way is for some type of logic to control it.

Basically he said that what will happen is taht the thing will trip at a low level then by programming. the logic will start a count down. and at 0 the logic will trip back on too the battery. if the certain battery level is not right the relay will trip back and the count down will start again.

looks likes its arduino time

Last edited by deathtrain; 12-17-2011 at 11:03 PM..
Old 12-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #109 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Mercedes 89 D - '89 Mercedes 300 E
90 day: 33.86 mpg (US)

Skodie - '09 Skoda Octavia TDI PD
90 day: 38.84 mpg (US)

1993 Mercedes 300D Turbo - '93 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo W124
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

90 day: 9.61 mpg (US)

90 day: 33.34 mpg (US)
Arduino control for Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtrain View Post
ok I talked to an E tech and he came up with we can build a circuit that will close a relay once a lower level is hit. the only issue is that once the alternator kicks in the upper levels will trip and then the whole system will just ping pong. he said the only way is for some type of logic to control it.

Basically he said that what will happen is taht the thing will trip at a low level then by programming. the logic will start a count down. and at 0 the logic will trip back on too the battery. if the certain battery level is not right the relay will trip back and the count down will start again.

looks likes its arduino time
It looks the same to me.

Even a very simple logic with Arduino will be a big step forward, as this will allow further improvement later. There are small arduinos that will be excellent for the final circuit.

Please do work on that and keep us all informed.

Oldbeaver
Old 12-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #110 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hook a switch to the throttle. When throttle is closed, field windings are energized.

with the same switch, turn off the power to the fuel injectors.

Reply  Post New Thread