Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2019, 06:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Jerry - '11 Chevrolet Volt
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion210 View Post
I've found that modifications have to be pretty aesthetically pleasing to win non modders over.

Perhaps that was their true issue.
I can imagine that is definitely true. The funny thing is that I don't care how my car looks all that much! We chase miles not looks, right? Plus I just post so I can hopefully inspire someone else who is curious about ecomodding their car. I know when I was researching this topic I could barely find anything regarding ecomodding Volts. I wanted to help fill that gap and provide some resource for people with Volts looking to ecomod!

Also catch me on the Volt subreddit from time to time trolling the crowd I'll keep it a low-key troll so they do not catch on to the scheme.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,594 Times in 7,077 Posts
Quote:
I thought I would just start a thread here warning you all of how nasty people are on sites other than Ecomodder. .... Anybody have any similar stories from other sites?
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Internet+hate+machine

News at eleven, amiright?

One can parse [WWW] Internet into news aggregators and social media. The former are less toxic. Social media is poison to the human spirit. The closest thing to a pre-WWW Internet is 4chan.

News aggregators would rank with Slashdot at the top, likely the first, and still with the best moderation system. You can browse and see everything or just the most informative/insightful comments. Fark.com and boingboing.net round out the original three. Digg.com came along and there was a lot of drama that birthed Reddit. Reddit's innovation was that anyone could create a new subreddit.
Quote:
We chase miles not looks, right?

Old 07-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #23 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conor_v View Post
haha you looked it up? Funny stuff right?
I had to see for myself; it was everything I hoped for and then some. Your car looks great, BTW.

In case anyone else is wondering, here's a representative comment, from the aforementioned "techtornado":

Quote:
Bro, I warned you to be very careful about improvising upon the design without adhering to the rules and regs of the road. Now, for the second time, you've created a potentially flammable and definite road debris flinging machine that is only going to cause more headache than to work as a solution to a problem.

If the plastic air-dam is of the wrong type of material that is not properly fire-retardant due to X automobile standards, it will ignite on contact with the hot exhaust.

Plus, it is probably not road legal due to the material type and attachments with... velcro, you were instructed and admonished for not investigating NY state laws as well as any possible federal mandates on lower-body modifications. [This should have been step 1]

Go to an auto shop that specializes in aerodynamics with a team of engineers dedicated on improving upon Chevy's design, not Big Ed's slap-it, ship-it redneck shop.

Otherwise, quit overthinking it and just enjoy your car!
There you have it, ladies and gentlemen. Make sure you check those non-existent federal regulations on lower-body modifications. And for heaven's sake, stop thinking!

Last edited by Vman455; 07-23-2019 at 08:13 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (07-25-2019), Xist (07-24-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtornado
Go to an auto shop that specializes in aerodynamics with a team of engineers dedicated on improving upon Chevy's design, not Big Ed's slap-it, ship-it redneck shop.
So, NASCAR today, not NASCAR in the 1950s?

I came back to mention the beginnings of the Web. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suck.com Be aware the suck.com domain has bee repurposed. I still recall the ragged right and left margins and Terry Colon's work.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Xist (07-24-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
There you have it, ladies and gentlemen. Make sure you check those non-existent federal regulations on lower-body modifications. And for heaven's sake, stop thinking!
Think of the children! An air dam made of the wrong plastic will kill far more people than a lifted truck that has a winch sitting at the height of the average vehicle occupant's head (but seriously, if that's legal, why even have safety standards?).

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vskid3 For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (07-25-2019), Xist (07-24-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 09:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
I had to see for myself; it was everything I hoped for and then some. Your car looks great, BTW.

In case anyone else is wondering, here's a representative comment, from the aforementioned "techtornado":

Hey thanks!! I laugh harder every time I read that HA! Aside from all the crap he spewed about non existent laws regarding vehicle modifications, my favorite line is "just enjoy your car!" Eco-modding IS me enjoying my car.

Last edited by conor_v; 07-23-2019 at 09:58 PM..
Old 07-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Think of the children! An air dam made of the wrong plastic will kill far more people than a lifted truck that has a winch sitting at the height of the average vehicle occupant's head (but seriously, if that's legal, why even have safety standards?).
You know what has killed more people than flying road debris (do you know how many OEM plastic hub caps I've seen on the side of the road... just saying)??

Air pollution

*mic drop*
Old 07-24-2019, 04:45 AM   #28 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conor_v View Post
You know what has killed more people than flying road debris (do you know how many OEM plastic hub caps I've seen on the side of the road... just saying)??

Air pollution

*mic drop*
Do you remember when the OE ones were metal and had some real heft to them? You couldn't go anywhere without seeing one on the side of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 07-24-2019, 11:39 AM   #29 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Reddit is the middle school lunch table of the Internet.
I vote that becomes the new thread title, but it seems to apply to much of the Internet.

Unless a cool kid likes it, it gets downvoted.

I have seen many posts receive thousands of upvote on Imgur and someone responds "What the heck?! I posted this here [links original] and just got downvoted! This guy reposts it and gets thousands of upvotes!"

"Shut up whiner!"

I just remember Benny making classic hubcaps disappear.

The guy writes like he is the one-man volunteer H.O.A. that cannot do anything but send letters.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I just remember Benny making classic hubcaps disappear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG
Hooked On Music Lyrics - Mac Davis - Cowboy Lyrics
https://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/...sic-27749.html
I'm stealing fancy hubcaps off them cowboys' pickup trucks. Fender skirts and mud flaps anything to make a buck. I'll sell 'em right back to 'em out behind the rodeo. Just to make a little money to take my little honey to a rock and roll show. Well I hung around that skating rink where Buddy Holly played.

Reply  Post New Thread