Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2021, 05:37 PM   #101 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'd like to buy the product not advertised, because why would I want to pay for someone to manipulate me into purchasing something (ad money comes from the customer). Let's see an ad for that.

Always wanted a company that spends nothing on advertising and has no branding, which would be the brand. You get a product, say 2% milk, and it says on the label, 2% milk with no name brand. Would rather put all revenue into making the product better and driving the cost down.
I get what you're saying. But what we want as customers only has a limited value in the eyes of any business selling a product or service. Their biggest question is: "How can we make money?" And to make money they have to advertise. The better they advertise the more money they make.

The only ones who do ok without advertising or branding are very small businesses. For an example, I've been self employed for the past 15 years and work with my wife, mother and brother. We don't advertise, nor do people know us by our company name. But our company also isn't growing either. We don't make a lot; less than the median household income actually. But we really don't want to work much more either since we have a steady stream of loyal customers and we feel we're working enough hours already.

We also have a friend who does the same type of work we do. Basically he's our competition. He has advertisements everywhere. In the paper, on Facebook, on the sides and rear of all his vehicles and on the sides and rear of all his employee's vehicles. His company has grown much bigger than ours. He's also earned quite a bit more money than we have. He owns a couple big houses; all of my family lives in small trailers. He owns a couple brand new, extra large, luxury SUV's; Most of my family owns older, small, 4 cylinder cars and trucks.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-25-2021, 06:11 PM   #102 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
My method of having no method works for hardly anyone. Most people want to spend the money they have. A woman once explained to me that my method doesn't work, and that everyone needs a budget or they will be financially ruined.
I usually try to set a budget before, yet I keep trying to not spend the entire budget and make some savings.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 09:47 PM   #103 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,598 Times in 7,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary
The only ones who do ok without advertising or branding are very small businesses.
And Tesla...

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 10:08 PM   #104 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
And Tesla...
But for how long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Marketing Officer (CMO), spokeswoman Alexis Georgeson
Right now, the stores are our advertising. We’re very confident we can sell 20,000-plus cars a year—without paid advertising. It may be something we’ll do years down the road. But it’s certainly not something we feel is crucial for sales right now.
https://www.teslarati.com/brilliant-...-lack-thereof/

Hopefully they can keep it up. But it's likely a matter of time for the novelty wears off, other OEMs catch up in terms of specs and pricing, and the Tesla fanboys have all bought up all the Teslas they need. Then will word-of-mouth be enough for Tesla?
Old 05-25-2021, 11:31 PM   #105 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,598 Times in 7,081 Posts
[shrug]

Old 05-26-2021, 03:29 AM   #106 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Then will word-of-mouth be enough for Tesla?
It's been working for Toyota in Africa for a long time, even though nowadays the dumping of Chinese copies is also taking a large chunk of the market not only in Africa but also in other regions. But I'm sure most of the Tesla buyers are endorsing not a claimed reliability from a conservative perspective, but a high-tech image akin to science-fiction which requires some marketing efforts once in a while to keep it up-to-date.

Reply  Post New Thread