Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Beefy

well I missed out on the deal. I was ready to buy it and another guy bought it about 30 minutes before I could get there. Oh well...early bird gets the worm! I found another one though, with less miles, but it sounds like it needs a little more tlc...check engine light is coming on...mechanic told them it was b/c of the cat. I'm guessing that could be either the cat or a O2 sensor problem (and aren't O2 sensors on the hx models kinda high?)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-10-2009, 01:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
ZachUA -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachUA View Post
well I missed out on the deal. I was ready to buy it and another guy bought it about 30 minutes before I could get there. Oh well...early bird gets the worm! I found another one though, with less miles, but it sounds like it needs a little more tlc...check engine light is coming on...mechanic told them it was b/c of the cat. I'm guessing that could be either the cat or a O2 sensor problem (and aren't O2 sensors on the hx models kinda high?)
Oh well, I chalk that up to "not meant to be". I know that the Honda VX oxygen sensors are expensive 5-wire versions, but I can't tell if the HX 02 sensors are expensive. When I Google I see "normal" 4-wire versions. The cat is another story.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 05-10-2009 at 01:27 AM..
Old 05-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Beefy

there are 2 cats right? one right off the manifold and one a little further back under the passenger side floorboard? I'm still trying to figure out what the problem with the cat could be. AFAIK the only sensor that detects anything for the cat is the oxygen sensor. The only thing I could think of is either a missing cat or a malfunctioning oxygen sensor. If it were clogged up the car would run poorly and you'd know there's a problem other than a cel.

edit: after some research it appears that there is only 1 cat and it is attached to the manifold. A common problem resulting from this is the manifold getting too hot and cracking which causes an exhaust leak that the ecm picks up and produces a cel.

I wouldn't doubt it if that is the problem with the car I'm going to look at. It will be expensive to replace either the manifold or the wideband o2 sensor. I sure hope that's not the problem. If the manifold is cracked you would think the owner could hear the distinct exhaust leak sound coming from the engine bay!

after more research it appears I could upgrade the exhaust system to an ex style. The ex manifold does not have a cat attached directly to it, instead, the cat is underneath the car (like most cars). The problem I'm concerned with is that the cat will be too far back to get hot enough for the car to go into lean burn mode.

Last edited by ZachUA; 05-10-2009 at 12:40 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread