Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #131 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What surprises me the most is the benefits from the wheel alignments and aero mudflaps.
Can you post a link to the site where they sell the mudflaps? I thought they would cost way more. Thats pretty cheap even just for installing them.
Once you start on this i really hope you can post test data. Are you doing all modifications at once or trying just mudflaps on 2 trucks, just airtabs on 2 trucks... and so on to verify the data before you do it to the whole fleet?
Something like relocating the air horns and exhaust looks like it needs to be tested before being done as it looks like its a close call to weather or not its worth doing.

Last edited by dancam; 04-02-2017 at 08:07 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-02-2017, 09:52 PM   #132 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

To be honest, some of the prices are just estimated as yet. For example the mudflaps there are multiple examples of these on Alibaba that are exceedingly cheap (China knockoffs)...to be honest, for something as basic as a mudflap made from a Urethane style plastic..they SHOULD be cheaper still...

The airhorns / exhausts are able to be performed inhouse fairly cheaply..and the costs may be a bit above actual costs (unbolting, moving the wiring a few feet..and reinstalling is around a 60 minute job for a competent mechanic)..

I also havent factored in any of the other things such as SELLING unused products (EG exhaust stack removal and converting to underbody dump is very quick and easy...and leaves a shiny Stainless steel stack that will be able to be sold..)

When it comes to testing, I will only have a few trucks to test on initially..I will most likely head for a max aero / max mechanical truck...and a mechanical only truck setup...
Then, work in REVERSE removing items to try and verify net effects per item..
As a lot of this aero only works when stacked with other aero, its pointless doing it one thing at a time..

For example..
Aero hubcaps...are USELESS on a otherwise unmodified vehicle..if you already have turbulent air approaching the wheels..hubcaps will NOT correct it..
You must have laminar air before the wheels..then use the hubcaps to help it maintain attachment..

I am just waiting on testing in the next few weeks on the mechanical (Being installed on 2 x city busses currently for full review..)..once I receive this emperical test result, I will then collate findings for the board to review and approve for testing across our fleet..
Once the next level is achieved..I will see what I can release for general consumption..

Of note..latest testing on the Hydrogen is showing a 50% displacement of diesel on the dyno...and fine tuning , and water injection have NOT been completed as yet! If this can be realised on the road, we are looking at 50-60% fuel reduction mechanically..and potentially a further 25% reduction with basic aero mods (Nothing too drastic..and obviously more beneficial on older trucks vs the more modern semi aero trucks..)..
I have been speaking to a government agency here who are funding Hydrogen Fuel cell powered electric trucks (Using stored gas)..It might be environmentally friendly..but if I can achieve the insane level of savings above, it will be fiscally poor to go for full fuel cells vs using dirty old diesel engines with some bolt ons!
(20MPG+ Class 8 heavy haulage..by using bolts ons, EXCEEDS the claims possible by Nikola One IIRC...)..
Doubt I can achieve this level..but worth a try!
Old 04-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #133 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,546 Times in 7,035 Posts
I set aside all sarcasm [momentarily] to wish you good luck.

Quote:
Then, work in REVERSE removing items to try and verify net effects per item..
As a lot of this aero only works when stacked with other aero, its pointless doing it one thing at a time..
That's an interesting observation, you could claim it by branding it 'Z-Y-Z testing'.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #134 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Any updates for us yet?
Old 05-08-2017, 02:59 AM   #135 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancam View Post
Any updates for us yet?
Still waiting on product testing progress for the Hydrogen system. I am being kept abreast of the progress so far, but the empirically tested results are not finalised.
Estimate another 4 weeks in reality before I receive that.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #136 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by craysus View Post
Still waiting on product testing progress for the Hydrogen system. I am being kept abreast of the progress so far, but the empirically tested results are not finalised.
Estimate another 4 weeks in reality before I receive that.
Well, its been 8 weeks! How did it go?
Old 07-09-2017, 09:51 PM   #137 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

STILL waiting...sigh..

Holdups on a number of fronts in the primary product..From what information I have on hand (A lot more than I can put up on here), the testing is exceeding initial estimates.

Some issues were found in product testing that would affect reliability of the system, so a few things have been re-designed / strengthened..They also had some issues with one of the consumables availability.

Hopefully only a few more weeks...and a empirically tested result will come to light
Old 07-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #138 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,546 Times in 7,035 Posts
So it sounds like the development process is doing what it should be doing.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:57 PM   #139 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lets just say I wish I could post some of the tested facts on here for the primary product...I am under a strict NDA for the "details"..

Not to mention I will also have a consultancy business running as a sideline for this and a few other pieces shortly...(IE putting truck/fleet owners onto some tested working products, and taking a small cut from their proven / realised savings..)...As such I might not be able to put too much information up here without cutting my own throat My website is already developed (not published), and I will be chasing business minded people to help with sales consulting going forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to craysus For This Useful Post:
freebeard (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #140 (permalink)
Focused on MPG

Marinator - '06 Mercury Mariner Premier
90 day: 10.61 mpg (US)

SILVER BULLET - '19 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN GT
90 day: 17.68 mpg (US)

Myrtle - Wife's JKU - '12 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport
90 day: 15.41 mpg (US)
Well hopefully once all up and running with the "ECO" mods, you can give us the basics!

Staying Focus'd on MPG
Reply  Post New Thread