Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
All New Nissan Models to Feature Fuel Efficiency Gauge

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007...mment-80276841

Quote:
Quote:
Nissan Motor announced that all future new models will be equipped with a fuel efficiency gauge to give drivers more information on how their driving style directly relates to fuel economy. The fuel efficiency gauge will also be equipped in current models scheduled for minor product freshenings, including the Skyline, Lafesta and Atlas in Japan, and the Altima and Infiniti G35 in the US.

The gauge provides the driver with both instant fuel-efficiency and average efficiency readings. For example, by accelerating, the driver would instantly see an increase in fuel consumption reflected on the gauge.

Based on Nissan’s trials, drivers have tended to improve their eco-driving habits over time, prompted by the real-time fuel-efficiency readings. Driving improvements also included smoother acceleration and braking, which potentially could lead to an average 10% improvement in fuel-efficiency, based on internal testing at Nissan.
Way to go Nissan!!

Apparently this is coming to the North American market, unlike Toyota's JDM-only fleet-wide "Eco Drive Indicator".

Also superior to Toyota, Nissan is offering both an instant & average reading, not just a green idiot light.

Must be a bummer for Ron at Linear Logic though, whenever he hears about initiatives like this from the automakers.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Hmm. I just checked the Nissan web site, and don't see any mention of the gauge in the Versa or the redesigned Altima. Doesn't mean anything conclusive...
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 11-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Weight Reduction

4x4 - '06 Nissan Altima 2.5 Special Edition
90 day: 29.04 mpg (US)

Mom's Van - '99 Plymouth Voyager SE
90 day: 25.62 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ankit
My altima has the average fuel economy readout and I believe that all off the altimas have this starting atleast in 2005 as standard equipment. I might be wrong and this might have started in 2002.

The 4th generation altima (2007+) also has this feature. But the readout is not that accurate in mine, especially if you drove around in the city. Pretty accurate in the highway though.

Quote:
Live Simply So Others Can Simply Live
-Ed Begley Jr.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Daily Driver - '01 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 18.12 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony Raine
my wife's pontiac g6 already has this, both instant and average. pretty accurate too
Old 11-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

E-Class - '04 MB Mercedes E320 4Matic

Matrix - '09 Toyota Toyota Matrix 2.4L AWD Sports Package
I hope this will help set a trend. My otherwise well equipped 09 Matrix (AWD and practically fully loaded) does not have a fuel economy gauge.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

About time you guys caught up
These has been getting more common over the past few years this side of the Atlantic. They are not usually fitted as a separate gauge or readout but as part of a trip computer. My Fiat Bravo has this fitted and it can tell me not only my insantaneous fuel consumption, but also the average since the trip mileage was last reset, my average speed since the trip was reset and my range on the fuel in the tank, It also has a second milage trip and will work out average speed and consumption since that was last reset too. Since I reset the first trip every time I fill up I can tell how I am doing since that fill and I can tell how I'm doing since I got the car 6 months ago. And having those does make a difference. I do drive differently now because of them, doing my best to keep the consumption above 50mpg (imperial gallos - its also a diesel car). The worst average I've had is 42mpg around town, which meant the tankful only lasted about 450 miles. The best is 59mpg on the motorway at a constant 60mph. My 'most average' average is around 48mpg, which gives me about 520 miles on a tank. I have done a little experimenting, driving for a short time as I used to (lost about 3-5mpg) and also trying to find out if going too slow in a high gear uses more fuel than a slightly lower one. So far results are inconclusive as the difference is very small and road conditions seem to play a big part, but my gut feeling is that the high gears work down to about 1200rpm on the level (this diesel engine has a rev range of 800-5000rpm). Below that the engine is OK, but its seems to use a tiny bit more fuel. Also, hills or anything that need acceleration means dropping a gear (or two), so these very low revs are only practical if I know I'm going to be running at a low constant speed. Now, if I didn't have the trip computer I would never have tried running with the engine much below 1800-2000rpm, which is about 2 gears lower and nearly 5 mpg worse at 30mph!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Adt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
[URL="http://www.greencarcongress....[/URL]

Way to go Nissan!!

Also superior to Toyota, Nissan is offering both an instant & average reading, not just a green idiot light.

Must be a bummer for Ron at Linear Logic though, whenever he hears about initiatives like this from the automakers.
ADT! = About Dadburned Time !

I use my ScanGauge II all the time...on a Nissan Sentra, too. And it does help. I started many years ago ( before solid state ) with a SpaceKom analog MPG gauge ( IR fuel flow sensor, and a spliced-in speedo-driven distance generator )... but it wouldn't indicate average numbers. But for hills and stoplight work, it was superb. Long live MPG gauges!
Ron will survive...his profits assure this! LOL

Reply  Post New Thread