Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
88CRX, I did an A-B comparison with a full undertray on my car and measured a 2.2% increase in MPG @ 90 km/h (55 mph).

The comparison won't directly apply to your case, since the CRX has a much lower ride height for one thing. But I bet it's in the ball park.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

88CRX - '88 Honda CRX Standard DX
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IS250 - '07 Lexus IS250
90 day: 25.79 mpg (US)

RX300 - '00 Lexus RX300
90 day: 18.38 mpg (US)
If you haven't got the coroplast yet... what i did was go to Lowe's, they didn't know what it was, so i pointed at a large box made of it. They gave me 3 boxes for free, more than enough to do my car.

I guess if your nice enough, you can get it free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Excellent work. Where do you get your coroplast? I haven't been able to find it around here. Have you had a chance to put a lot of miles on the setup? I would be a bit concerned about its proximity to the exhaust and catalytic converter.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

88CRX - '88 Honda CRX Standard DX
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IS250 - '07 Lexus IS250
90 day: 25.79 mpg (US)

RX300 - '00 Lexus RX300
90 day: 18.38 mpg (US)
Thanks for the information, i'm gonna do it when i get the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
88CRX, I did an A-B comparison with a full undertray on my car and measured a 2.2% increase in MPG @ 90 km/h (55 mph).

The comparison won't directly apply to your case, since the CRX has a much lower ride height for one thing. But I bet it's in the ball park.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Grasshopper

Makai - '01 Toyota Echo 4D Auto
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)

New Galaxy - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwelkins View Post
Just finished belly pan using 3 sheets of 1/4" 'natural' color coroplast. Hubcaps too.
Pics @ Paul's Toys
I like it!

Love all the toys too

Old 06-13-2009, 12:24 AM   #25 (permalink)
Paulywog

sip-n-go - '88 Honda CRX
Last 3: 10.06 mpg (US)
That was then, This is now

I'm sorry I havn't been visiting this site in a spell. Figured you needed an update seeing the coroplast bellypan went thru a rough year. First, I removed it, mostly because last winters snow fall was 2 feet, and I was scraping the pan on more than several occations in order to get by.
The coro Hubcasps became quite brittle too, plus spinning my tires in deap snow didn't help much. I removed them several months ago.
I first removed the rear pan section soon after installing. I discovering it rode too low at the rear axles which was creating drag. I drove around for many months before winter with just the front section on and yes, I do remember it being a little quieter inside, and I'm sure there was some mpg gain.
After fiddling with interior mirror options in an effort to eliminate side mirror drag, I opted to re-install my drivers side mirror and this works for me. (The 4 section interior mirror was inches from my head!)
With the onset of summer I removed my plex air vent to keep things cool. My tires are practically bald after running them @ 45 psi, and the ride is rough, I did feel I was getting my best gain in mpg from running them that high, but by doing that I wonder if I hastened there life expectancy.
I'm back to my old habits now, driving fast as usual and not keeping up with the expensive oils etc. But I still chech my mileage and I'm happy averaging 45 mpg.
Not too many cars can do that, with one battery
Old 06-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
Elkinstein images

Gee Paul,are you ever going to have some ideas? Of course I'm kidding! Loved your photo archive.I would be far further down my learning curve had you been a neighbor.Your motorcycle reverse-trike is something I'm making slow progress on.I'm including your idea for the aero shell from the bicycle.No telling when she'll see road duty,but when I see stuff like your's,it surely keeps my interest picqued! Thanks for sharing all that.CRX belllypan looks good!
Old 05-15-2015, 02:11 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

TexasThunder Avg MPG 54 - '08 Toyota Prius Base
COROPLAST 4MM which I have plenty of I DO NOT LIKE for the following applications

Belly pan,underbody, and wheel covers. 4MM coroplast is (for me) to thick to cut for wheel covers and making the wheel covers seems to be to much of a hassle with 4mm. Nobody local stocks 2MM coroplast and cost is $35 USA dollars 4 x 8 sheet. Any suggestion
Old 05-15-2015, 05:05 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
I used these pallet liners for Turtle's belly pan, which I got for 2 bucks a sheet. The guy I get them from has enough of those to cover a stadium. They're really thin and strong and are holding up great.

https://lakeland.craigslist.org/for/4990053699.html

Old 05-15-2015, 05:24 AM   #29 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Wow. This thread was posted back in 2009 !

TexasCotton, you asked for suggestions. Here are mine :
Some recycling centers will have coroplast signage. I know the one in Houston did a few years back when I lived there.
They will give you as much as you can haul home.
Also, election signs are great, but you have to wait for the right timing, and unfortunately, you can't just go take one off of a fence once the elections are done.

Lastly, I work at bLowes. I had several large sheets of coroplast - some as large as 2' x 6' that were going in the dumpster. Resets happen quite often, and also, several of the boxes that products come in in the outside garden deptment are made of coroplast. To get it though, you have to have good timing and follow up on it.
When you go to a store, ask to speak to a PSA. These are the guys that do the resets.
Say that your wife wants it for the garden, and that it makes an excellent choice for use in the flower beds because it stays rigid. ( or something like that )
Ask when the resets might happen, and follow up with them regularly. They don't give a crap, and any inconvenience on them, results in them throwing it away, so you have to check back with them regularly.
Also, explain that the sign won't be displayed in public, since they will be reluctant to give the signage to you for legal reasons.
If you dont have any luck at one store, try another till you get what you need.

Good luck !

Reply  Post New Thread