Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #21 (permalink)
one of thOOOse people

twitchy - '98 honda civic dx + sir + ls
90 day: 30.2 mpg (US)

Norman - '14 Ford E-350 EXT
90 day: 16.18 mpg (US)

Silver - '12 VW Golf Base
90 day: 26.1 mpg (US)

Sparta - '19 Honda CB300R
90 day: 84.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
How much are replacement parts for the 86? I'm asking, I really don't have a clue. But, I can say the Civic parts are stupid cheap.
If you think parts for Civics are even close to cheap, your jaw will drop at old VW parts.
example: I've had to replace several rear wheel bearings on Civics over the years. Majestic Honda, online price $117. A rear wheel bearing for my old Rabbit, $23. the list goes on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS
that Civic sounds great but could it make it over the Rockies with a trailer?
Though Civics are not rated for pulling trailers, all should be able to pull a small, lightly loaded trailer anywhere.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpower View Post
If you think parts for Civics are even close to cheap, your jaw will drop at old VW parts.
example: I've had to replace several rear wheel bearings on Civics over the years. Majestic Honda, online price $117. A rear wheel bearing for my old Rabbit, $23. the list goes on..

Though Civics are not rated for pulling trailers, all should be able to pull a small, lightly loaded trailer anywhere.
Rockauto.com sells good brands of parts for a lot less. Honda OEM parts are expensive.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
You can set up Ubuntu on your computer so that you can pick which operating system you want. When you are running ubuntu you can go to the file manager and look for a directory called "host", that is all the files on your windows machine. With a bit of snooping you will be able to access all your files, photos, videos, documents.

Another alternative is Puppy linux. It boots on your cd/dvd drive and then creates a file that saved on your hard drive. It is very fast.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
The Following User Says Thank You to Varn For This Useful Post:
BobS (08-03-2014)
Old 09-27-2015, 01:19 AM   #24 (permalink)
diesel doer

Just checking back in from Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Built a 4X8 harbor freight trailer (made by Lego?) and a 4 X 8 X 20" high box for it. When loaded, I suspect the trailer was only 500-600 lbs. To pull it, ended up with a 1990 VW Jetta 1.6 diesel. Love the car but it is underpowered. Set my personal speed at 55-60 for the trip. But...
when going over the west Texas hill country on US10, every big rise has a big dip in front of it and to keep a decent speed for the following cars, I had to speed up to 70-75 coming out of the dip - not very ecomodder. Still, I was able to post 39 mpg which was
amazing to me given the constant vertical changes of the road. I swear that my horizontal distance traveled was the same distance as my vertical displacements. I have lived in super flat Florida since age 14 and had no real feel for the rest of the world being so terribly bumpy. Total shock.
Unfortunately, the Rockies get bigger west of El Centro, California so that is where the trailer is stored. The mountains doubled in height and I just wasn't taking on that challenge. But I and my dog, Buddy Boo, pressed on all the way to Cabo, motelling all the way and my little VW gave such a performance - 4000 miles in a 25 year old car and not even the slightest problem. It was giving me mpg in the high 50's without the trailer,
even tho the terrain was equally vertical in Mexico. I wish I had found that car 20 years ago.
Just want to say thanks for all the great suggestions that I got here. They really did help.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:26 AM   #25 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
So, are you gonna keep the Jetta? Have you never considered to turbocharge it?
Old 09-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
4000 miles in a 25 year old car and not even the slightest problem. It was giving me mpg in the high 50's without the trailer,
even tho the terrain was equally vertical in Mexico. I wish I had found that car 20 years ago.
They were very frugal back in the day - and still are.
Just keep it properly maintained and it'll run forever

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
1.4l engine, diesel, lupo, tracker