Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am currently building my own home all by myself (wife helped). My home is only 28x32 plus full basement but feels much larger because of the high ceilings. I made a walkout basement but oriented it towards the road. She looks like a big 2 storey from the road, and people often refer to it as that big house on the hill. Use height to trick the eye, but try to keep everything to scale. High ceilings do require fans to push the heat back down, but I do prefer "moving air" to stagnent air. Feels more comfortable and even to me. My house isn't really an eco house because of local laws and costs I couldn't afford, but it is currently heated with only 2 1500 watt 120 volt heaters that cycle on and off even at -20 celsius. Lots of windows but the blinds are closed when the son goes down. Keep in mind that with such a small space that heating and cooling will be affected by waste heat from appliances like fridges and tvs etc.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

cool.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Get a subscription to Home Power Magazine Home Power Magazine: Solar | Wind | Water | Design | Build for lots of great information and insight on energy-efficient design. I'm currently consulting with a housewright on my next home: Larsen Truss frame with 12" walls (R-42 with blown-in cellulose insulation), R-60 ceiling, passive solar slab (insulated from the ground and foundation perimeter), and 2 kwh of PV's and a solar DHW heating system.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What to do that is cost effective, comfortable, and prevents mold here in Alabama and Florida is different from what should be don farther north.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I would use concrete blocks look too, but because you want wood, is fine. But this will have a greater fire hazard, and does not store any heat. However, the internal quality of the walls and ground heat storage is the most important.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm still of a mindset for earth sheltered homes. Low maintenance, low energy sustainment costs, comparable construction costs. Google earth sheltered homes...they don't have to be dome-shaped, but simple physics says that shape should be incorporated. They can be built anywhere, and will all reap the future benefits of good planning and longevity. That being said, concrete and steel are the best shell materials. Inside can be whatever your heart desires. I suppose, mentioning that a properly sealed house of this type also requires an air exchanger.
Bill
Old 09-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriebeazq View Post
Im an 1st year architecture student. Im designing a timber eco house (a studio *** living room, kitchen *** dining room, toilet and bedroom) for my client which is a green architect (Wong Mun Summ, Singapore).
Before putting down any line, there are some site criteria we need to assess. The 'machine', that is the structure needs to address the geographical location, climate/seasonal conditions, foundation, etc or simply a thorough architectural site analysis. When we know that then we could create something appropriate for its climate zones/geography. From there, the technologies, visual aesthetics, eco-green materials and cultural styles could go any direction.

Reply  Post New Thread