Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2014, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

How much more effcient are closed scooter designs like BMW c1 vs regular scooter

I thought I might make an enclosed scooter design like the discontinued bmw c1. basically the windsheld continues over head to make a roof and the sides are open.

for my zero motorcycle, but how much more effcient is it really going to be, the front wheel still sticks out and the sides are open?

do you think it is worth the effort?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-07-2014, 02:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,449 Posts
BMW's approach was more focused on a supposed safety enhancement and comfort (altough due to the open sides it wouldn't protect so effectively from rain and not benefit the aerodynamics so much).
Old 05-07-2014, 02:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

jvsgears - '14 Skoda Octavia
Team m8
90 day: 52.47 mpg (US)
The Burgman scooter that I modified did go from 4.3 l per 100 kilometers to 2.8 l/100 KM
In rainy conditions I hardly get wet. The other nice thing is the temperature. Even when it is 5 degree C outside I still can drive without gloves.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by janvos39 View Post
The Burgman scooter that I modified did go from 4.3 l per 100 kilometers to 2.8 l/100 KM
In rainy conditions I hardly get wet. The other nice thing is the temperature. Even when it is 5 degree C outside I still can drive without gloves.
Sure, but look at the fairings of your Burgman, then compare it to the BMW C1. You could eventually add a canopy to improve the aerodynamics, but since it's more enclosed at its sides it decreases the drag more than the open sides of a C1.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I would really like to find a c1 type windshield roof to hack and put on my bike, however since they were never sold in USA I'm guess I am SOL. are there any other enclosed roof type scooter parts I might be able to buy and retrofit as part of my aero shell?
Old 05-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Use honeycomb aluminum from the mail order suppliers for a shell and Lexan for windshield. Plans for sailplanes are available online.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumwelder View Post
I would really like to find a c1 type windshield roof to hack and put on my bike, however since they were never sold in USA I'm guess I am SOL. are there any other enclosed roof type scooter parts I might be able to buy and retrofit as part of my aero shell?
There's a few chinese scooters with roofs that could probably be bought cheap and repurposed with a little work. This one's been on craigslist for a couple years now and keeps tempting me to make an offer.

Three Wheeled Scooter Motorcycle with Roof!
Old 05-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I want it to stay economical so buying a whole scooter would probably not be worth it. I migth just have to bend up my own aluminum tubing and custom fabricate it.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ith View Post
There's a few chinese scooters with roofs that could probably be bought cheap and repurposed with a little work. This one's been on craigslist for a couple years now and keeps tempting me to make an offer.

Three Wheeled Scooter Motorcycle with Roof!
At least, for having 3 wheels it would be more practical to fully enclose it, in order to offer a real aerodynamic advantage.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
At least, for having 3 wheels it would be more practical to fully enclose it, in order to offer a real aerodynamic advantage.
I'm guessing with that trike (seems to be the same model as what I posted) you'd want the sides open so you could lean further to the inside to keep the thing from tipping on a turn. Probably part of the reason these aren't made by more reputable companies.

I would agree though that sides would make it more aero, and a better nose would help too (something like a vetter kit's).

Reply  Post New Thread