Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2023, 05:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Adopt exotic pets.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-10-2023, 10:07 AM   #22 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Skunks, raccoons, snakes, rats? repulsinsg is as much work as keeping people out
Old 12-11-2023, 12:46 AM   #23 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Mom announced she is moving in with my sister and putting my brother in a group home.

I will need to sue to deprive her of parental rights.

My sister is useless, but my brother is amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
When our marriage failed, she wasn't interested in no-fault, so I had to do it myself. The judge awarded custody and alimony to me. At first we traded receipts for alimony vs her interest in the house. But I came into some money and bought out her interest.

She never paid in a dime for about ten years. I got poor and asked her to make a payment. Instead she gave money to a lawyer and sued for custody. When he was 17 years old.

That's when I moved to Tualatin/Beaverton and started making decent money.
I am sorry about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
A deadbolt is cheaper and keeps people out when you are away as well. Get on that requires a key on both sides and never give your mom or brother a key
I have double doors and the bolt that is supposed to secure the door on the right broke. Apparently, it was slightly up when my brother tried to push it closed and the door broke. I wonder if a previous tenant broke it and poorly glued it back together, but the slide bolt doesn't fit at all.
I need to remove a little bit of particle board before gluing it back together and clamping it while it dries.

I don't have any confidence that will hold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
A. Buy a better door
B. Drill your current door and fill the hollow space inside with spray foam.
Since there is a cardboard honeycomb, you would need to drill a grid every foot or so and spray, but then how would you know if it is full?
I once saw a picture of someone who tried this, sprayed too much, and the door split!

Of course, I cannot find a picture of it.

I don't know what good spray foam does besides sealing and if your door doesn't have any holes, it wouldn't seal anything.

If it does something, surely there would be voids, which would reduce the effectiveness.

It doesn't matter, I don't recall ever convincing Mom to do the rational and logical thing. Instead, irrational women have repeatedly convinced her not to do the rational and logical thing.

A moderator of one of the Facebook speech groups insists that he has never met an SLPA who made less than $50,000.

Does he not count every SLPA who complains we cannot support ourselves, because we are legion!

I found a charter school offering $54,000, but I have applied to many schools in the area, and only found a full-time job when I moved to the middle of nowhere.

It turned out that I was the only applicant--and they never replaced me.

I would have earned $39,000 if my supervisor did her job, but apparently work was against her religion.

The best part of all of this is when Mom dropped this bomb on me.

I had just passed all of my classes, did my clinicals, saw all 3 clients, and taken my brother to get his pizza. I was trying to quickly eat dinner before finishing my research project which was due that night and she told me that which she couldn't possibly have believed that I would ever want to hear or ever allow if there was anything that I could do about it.

I have been interrupting my studies to run my brother's bath at 8 (or 9) because Mom won't do it until 10-11, he doesn't get to bed until 1-2, and then she doesn't go to sleep until 3-4.

Sometimes he gets to bed before midnight now.

I called my fiancée on my iPad and asked her to tell Mom that she had a groupon for a facial or something while I ran his bath.

When I handed Mom my iPad, she smiled to see my fiancée, and my brother leaned over to see the screen and smiled to see my fiancée, who told him hi and waved.

She invited Mom to go wedding dress shopping, which was a huge deal for Mom because she used to work in the bridal department and always dreamed of taking her girls bridal shopping, but they didn't invite her.

Did she decide to stay and live with the wonderful woman who invited her wedding dress shopping?

No, nothing matters, she is moving with the horrible woman who did not take her wedding dress shopping, who has hard flooring throughout the house, stairs, and three large dogs which regularly bump into you.

The horrible woman who decides what Mom can eat and when and has zero tolerance for all of the games that Mom always tries to play on me.
Old 12-11-2023, 01:28 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Double doors come in standard sizes, and are available through recyclers -- e.g., Habitat For Humanity.

Or will it be soon mooted?

Old 12-12-2023, 12:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
While dropping the bombshell that she is moving out while you were trying to finish up your project on a deadline isn't the best timing - I'm a bit surprised you seem so upset about this.

For years you have complained that your sister has left you to shoulder the full responsibility of caring for your brother and mother. You have also complained that your mom and brother give you no personal space and caring for their illogical requests are almost a full time job. You have gone as far as starting to converting a shed to an office to get some peace and quiet. (Which if your postings are reliable every time you try to work on that shed project your family some how messes it up)

Now your "deadbeat" sister has agreed to take these burdens off your shoulders - at a critical time when you need to be free of them. You need time and focus to study for your master's program - it only gets harder from here. You need privacy to work on growing the relationship with your fiancee.

No doubt this is a shock and it will take time to adjust but it isn't like you can't visit your mother and brother. However, those visits will be on your schedule instead of them demanding your time when you have other things you need to do. Like finishing a research project for grad school - so you can finish grade school - and get a job that can support you and your future wife.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (12-15-2023)
Old 03-25-2024, 08:44 PM   #26 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Mom annoyed my sister so much my sister swore off helping her once I got married, which happened on 3/16.

We went to San Diego for a week and Mom didn't do anything stupid while we were gone, but she took her car and went for a drive the next day, when I was getting ready.

She didn't hit anything and I bought The Club.

We will see what happens when she discovers that, but:

The week before last, my desktop crashed.
I didn't feel that I had the time to troubleshoot it, I just wanted to back up my documents and try to finish the quarter and prepare for the wedding, but my flash drives weren't big enough for all of my documents.
On Thursday, my airbag light came on, so I started driving Mom's car, which I took to San Diego.
I bought replacement brake pads months ago, but I have been focused on fighting mice at Mom's house.
I put down 50 traps and disposed of at least 43 mice, plus tons of stuff the mice damaged, which might have been garbage beforehand.

I tried to catch up with school stuff due before the wedding during our honeymoon, but my laptop crashed.

So, as far as I know, I am able to keep my two favorite people in my life, and Mom isn't going anywhere soon, although my sister started saying she expects Mom to die within a year.

I graduate in 438 days.

I didn't buy the $120 lock bar, I bought this one for $12, which either arrived broken, or broke when I was unboxing it, but they replaced it for free, and it seems to work:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cUP9us6.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	34604  
Old 03-25-2024, 10:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
What about the lock on the door handle?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 03-26-2024, 04:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wedding pix?

Old 03-26-2024, 09:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I put down 50 traps and disposed of at least 43 mice,

Don't you have three favorite people now?

Old 03-27-2024, 10:23 AM   #30 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Congratulations

Reply  Post New Thread