Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
You commuted in the Suburban, and yet you think they aren't a bad idea? I agree with using them for what they are supposed to be used for, but I have no idea what you would even mention that you commuted in one.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
there are a LOT of Americans who don't want to drive huge SUVs &c - that's why the Detroit 3 have steadily been losing market share to the imports.
The converse is that the imports have been getting bigger (compare Honda Accords over a 10-year span) and import makers have moved into large vehicle territory as well (have you seen a Land Cruiser lately? Yeeeeesh!). That tends to support the hypothesis that there are a lot of Americans who DO want to drive huge SUVs, they just don't want to buy one made by the Big 3.
Quote:
SUVs are for soccer moms :-)
And the rich ones drive Audi Q7's.
The Following User Says Thank You to wdb For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (12-13-2009)
Old 12-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
And the rich ones drive Audi Q7's.
Or the Lexus 470/570's, 75 grand for an SUV? I don't think so.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
The converse is that the imports have been getting bigger (compare Honda Accords over a 10-year span) and import makers have moved into large vehicle territory as well...
Sure, any particular model of import does seem to get bigger over time, but at some point the automaker usually introduces a new small model, for instance the Honda Fit & Toyota Yaris.

Likewise, when the import makers saturated the small car part of the market, they started expanding their range of models in order to increase sales. But the larger models are sold mostly to new-to-them customers, people who'd have formerly bought the similar-sized Detroit product. The small car market is still there, and imports have pretty well got it locked up.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ecomodder in Training

Green Machine - '96 Ford Contour GL
90 day: 34.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
You commuted in the Suburban, and yet you think they aren't a bad idea? I agree with using them for what they are supposed to be used for, but I have no idea what you would even mention that you commuted in one.

No I dont think they are a bad idea, just that they do use a lot of gas, and thats the bad part, but yes I like big vehicles. I have had about everything from a metro up to the Suburban over the years. Many of them obnoxious, lifted, oversize tire, 8 mpg gas guzzling SUV's (jeeps, k-5 blazers, dodge 4x4's, Toyota cruisers, chevy trucks, etc) are the ones I had the most fun driving. I love to just go out and bounce around out in the field just to see if I can make it up that hill or through that mud bog for no reason. I also just like driving them around. I have driven the small 4 cyld and 6 cyld out in the mud as well and never really had as much fun, maybe its in my head but having that big HP engine spinning some big tires in the mud with loud pipes, Its fun to me. Is it right, probably not.

Believe it or not, one thing I do/did enjoy doing is pulling people out of the ditch when they needed it. I am the one that usually stops no matter the weather and offers help if people are stuck in the ditch in the snow storms in the area. Cant do that with the contour, the best I can offer is a warm place to sit and a cell phone at this time.

If I could afford to drive the Suburban again every day I would, but my wallet has been saying I cant do that right now. Do I enjoy the 10 gal fill ups for less then 25.00? Yes. It does beat the 125-150 fill ups, but like I said , if I could afford it I probably would still be doing it.

Last edited by Rainh2o; 12-13-2009 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: spelling...oops
Old 12-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainh2o View Post
If I could afford to drive the Suburban again every day I would, but my wallet has been saying I cant do that right now. Do I enjoy the 10 gal fill ups for less then 25.00? Yes. It does beat the 125-150 fill ups, but like I said , if I could afford it I probably would still be doing it.
Eh, I don't like people like you, but I do hate people that can afford it more. So I am glad you aren't rich.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ecomodder in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
Eh, I don't like people like you, but I do hate people that can afford it more. So I am glad you aren't rich.
I could care less if you like me.

I thought this was an invite to discuss why "that the american car companies are still producing these stupidly huge suv's, pickup trucks, and crossover vehicles that get such horrible fuel economy?"

I didn't know it was a way to draw judgment on one anothers personalities and moral character by what they drive.

BTW...my suburban gets 18mpg on average, looks like its not much better then your mazda mpv...hmmm
Old 12-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Quote:
BTW...my suburban gets 18mpg on average, looks like its not much better then your mazda mpv...hmmm
Not much better than? It's worse...

Anyway, my mom drives the MPV loaded down with about 600lbs @ 75mph, I have driven it all of twice. hmmm

We've established that the car companies make big cars because of either profit, or to sell them to people that actually need them. I don't like you because you would rather drive a big "safe" car than a small car that made everyone else safer. I do like you because you can not afford to drive a big car.

Let me end this by saying, my personality type sucks online, so some stuff I say may sound offensive when it's really not.

Last edited by MadisonMPG; 12-13-2009 at 03:53 PM..
Old 12-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ecomodder in Training

Your MOM??...LOL...have a nice day kiddo
Old 12-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Quote:
Your MOM??...LOL...have a nice day kiddo
Do you have not have a mother? I am 37, and I happen to pay for gas for my 56 year old mother, so I used to keep track of her mileage here.

*this is a test*

Reply  Post New Thread