Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Congratulations!!

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
So, Saturday was the Big Day. The article was about four (nearly) normal people and how they tweek their lifestyles to reduce their footprint. An artist, a translator, a chef and a mathematician (me), each talking about everything, but focusing on a different part of everyday life - house & garden, cooking, recycling, driving, etc. I'll give a summary of the part about myself, since I'd rather not translate the whole article.

I mentioned that when eating out I use my own fork instead of a plastic disposable and I try to communicate that I don't want a plastic lid or straw with my drink. I always carry a plastic bag with me in case I need to buy something, for larger, planned shopping I use cloth bags. I put the TV, DVD, sat, etc. on a strip with an off switch and have three 220 liter (58 US gallon) barrels for rain water, mostly for watering the garden and washing the car, but I'd like to use it for flushing. More ways to save water: when the Wife and I pee right after each other, only the second person flushes, and often the flushing is with grey water from washing hands. Toilet paper made from recycled paper - it's grey, not bleached white with flowers on it, and it doesn't smell like roses or vanilla or pine trees, but it gets the job done just as well. The refrigerator is the most energy efficient model we could get and we try not to freeze too many things. When we need to thaw something from the freezer we put it into the fridge for the night.
I log the electrical meter every morning, and the water and gas meters every five days. This allows me to notice the effects of any changes we make. We're planning to replace the toilets with low flush models, and replace the on-demand gas water heaters with a super insulated tank, where the water will be warmed with heat from ventilation through a heat pump.

I also log my car trips: where, how far, how much fuel, driving conditions. I've blocked my grille (but can open it when I hear the fan turn on), covered the rear wheels and extended the roof and sides. "When I saw Adam's car, I wasn't surprised that people keep shooting pictures" - the reporter wrote. What goes on behind the car is just as important as in front. The ideal shape would be a water drop. The mods cost about 300PLN (US$100) and will pay for themselves after 15 fill-ups. I got my inspiration from EcoModder.com (See? See? I'm advertising)

But you can get real savings without investing in aeromods: Pump up your tires (a little more is better than a little less), remove any roof racks as soon as you're not using them (up to 30% greater FC, even an empty rack will put you back 5%-15%), get rid of extra weight (I replace my back seats only when I know I'll need them), fold passenger side mirror on long distance trips. Just as important is driving style: don't floor the gas when you've got a red light ahead, use engine braking instead of the brake pedal.

And please note: I'm not doing this to pay less, I'm doing this to use less. For me, gas should be twice as expensive, then maybe the owners of huge SUV's would finally wake up.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	obcasy.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	6344  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
alohaspirit (07-26-2010), Daox (07-14-2010), Nevyn (07-13-2010)
Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Grey Goose (Retired) - '89 Geo Metro LSI 4 door hatch back
Last 3: 57.16 mpg (US)

Tweety - '91 Geo Metro Convertible -2 Door convertible LSI
Team Metro
90 day: 43.97 mpg (US)

Shadow - '02 Honda Shadow VT1100
90 day: 43.46 mpg (US)

Sonic - '07 Honda CBR1000RR
90 day: 42.69 mpg (US)

Filmore - '84 Volkswagen Vanagon
90 day: 20.9 mpg (US)
Very nicely done. You are a true hero!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Now for the radio interview. The reporter wasn't very eco-minded, so the interview mostly went over what was in the article. This, plus the short time we had, prevented the interview from going into depth. Even though I mentioned that driving style saves more fuel than aeromods, the reporter was more interested in what I drive, not how I drive it.

Fortunately, we did have a chance to add something from ourselves. When asked what it is like to have an eco lifestyle I answered that I don't know, since I have no comparison. I've always seen things this way, ever since I was a little kid. What should we do to help others become more eco-minded? We should set an example and be proud of it. It's not a shame to save, it's a shame to waste.

After the interview I talked to one of the eco-people from the article. She couldn't understand why people who try to live a natural lifestyle are regarded as outsiders, extremists, or just plain weird. 'Weird' is better suited for people who make an effort to escape fom nature, who are addicted to oil and feel "at home" only when surrounded by concrete.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 07-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
After the interview I talked to one of the eco-people from the article. She couldn't understand why people who try to live a natural lifestyle are regarded as outsiders, extremists, or just plain weird. 'Weird' is better suited for people who make an effort to escape fom nature, who are addicted to oil and feel "at home" only when surrounded by concrete.
Yeah, I hate that too. I'm always the 'bad guy/driver' because I obey the law and drive at or under the speed limit.

Thanks for translating and sharing Piwoslaw!