Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Versa - '12 Nissan Versa Hatchback S
90 day: 39.65 mpg (US)
MAF's don't read airspeed. They calculate mass airflow by how much current it takes to keep the sense wire at a constant temp. If you speed up the airflow it will make the computer think there is more air than maybe actually is going through.

As far as O2 sensors countering a lean condition. They will tell the computer to enrich, but the fuel maps built into the computers will only go so far. The maps have short term and long term trim tables built in, but only go to a certain point. The setup I was talking about would be unlikely in affecting the system negatively. It definately would not be enough to harm the engine such as was alluded to earlier.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #32 (permalink)
500 Mile Metro Traveler

'89 Dakota LB - blue - '89 Dodge Dakota V6 LE
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

'17 Fiat 124 - SunFiat - '17 Fiat 124 Spider Classica
90 day: 30.51 mpg (US)

'89 Metro - The Egg - '89 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 50.71 mpg (US)

'94 Alto - The Box - '94 Suzuki Alto Ce-L
90 day: 39.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sularus View Post
MAF's don't read airspeed. They calculate mass airflow by how much current it takes to keep the sense wire at a constant temp. If you speed up the airflow it will make the computer think there is more air than maybe actually is going through.
potato - potatoe

i wasn't implying there was a some sort of impeller measuring wind speed in the maf sensor, just that it's reading depended upon the speed the air was traveling thru it, hence the same conclusion as you more eloquently pointed out.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

A CAI will help with fuel economy as long as your not hard on the throttle. If you drive in high RPMs you will need more fuel to keep up with the air. A short ram air will take in hot engine heat and not do much (unless the filter is over a wheel well with a heat shiled. If you want the performance the CAI will give you that and the economy if you lay off the threottle.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Get a AEM cold air, they have a build in velosity stack, not cheap but you pay for what you get.

Or use the fog lamp area and put a ram air into the stock air box with a K&N filter in it.

The stock box flows good, I did some testing a few years back, but the temp out was not super hot so the under hood temps didn't sky rocket like they normally would in a hot summer day. Either way Cold air intake or ram air will work.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #35 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Yah OK I'll get right on that.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
So with a 03 Ford Zetec engine...considering the just about even cold air/warm air tests...I'd be better off just removing the whole air intake tube and installing an OEM style K&N filter to reduce pumping losses from intake restriction?

Some claim mpg gains from the K&N OEM style and less tubing for the air to run thru can't hurt....would be drawing warmer air from under the hood though....

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
Old 04-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
So with a 03 Ford Zetec engine...considering the just about even cold air/warm air tests...I'd be better off just removing the whole air intake tube and installing an OEM style K&N filter to reduce pumping losses from intake restriction?

Some claim mpg gains from the K&N OEM style and less tubing for the air to run thru can't hurt....would be drawing warmer air from under the hood though....
You can remove the pre filter piping and add in something custom to draw air from out side the engine compartment, using ABS tubing, or flexible tubing of some sort pending the side and shape currently used.

I've used flexible tubing for air ducts previously and it has worked well, just need to seal it (tape) to the current piping, if you can cut the current piping that will work too. The main thing is to have the pipe inlet front facing. IF you could get a velocity stack on the end of it you would be set but that might cost you$.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #38 (permalink)
99CleanEM1

sounds like there are a few "ricer" modification taking place here
Old 04-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #39 (permalink)
99CleanEM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
If there's no documented increase to a CAI, why spend the money? If you don't have one already, spend the money on a Scangauge. It will do FAR more for your mileage.

I'm doing just fine with my Civic and the stock intake.
go with the CAI 2 fast 2 furious ! This is the only site where I have run into consistent focus on decreasing the longevity of motors so theyll burn oil to increase gas milage short term..... heat is your enemy for longevity.... keeping clearances where theyre intended to be prevents wear and tear and forcefully pumping hot air into your stock motor increases detonation and knock reducing timing and adding fuel. There is a reason why your intakes are plumbed to suck up fresh air on a Honda.... and no they def were not thinking about performance gains only efficiency
Old 04-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #40 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99kleansi View Post
go with the CAI 2 fast 2 furious ! This is the only site where I have run into consistent focus on decreasing the longevity of motors so theyll burn oil to increase gas milage short term..... heat is your enemy for longevity.... keeping clearances where theyre intended to be prevents wear and tear and forcefully pumping hot air into your stock motor increases detonation and knock reducing timing and adding fuel. There is a reason why your intakes are plumbed to suck up fresh air on a Honda.... and no they def were not thinking about performance gains only efficiency
I think you might be nuts.

Reply  Post New Thread