Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2017, 12:57 AM   #31 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Some plastic resins can be made out of basically any vegetable oil, including both soy and hemp. BTW China has never outlawed hemp, and much of its reinforced concrete relies on hemp fiber, so who would doubt that Chinese-made cars would start coming with plastic parts reinforced with hemp fiber too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
How about this:

IIRC it ran on coconut oil.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-04-2017, 09:07 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That's familiar. I think that's in my neck of the woods.

Waste Veggie Oil was briefly discussed here during the 08-09 oil crisis, but many of the WVO startups have shrivelled up with the return of (relatively) cheap diesel.

-

Bamboo bikes are starting to become a thing here... local makers use bamboo struts connected by composite joints made using bamboo fiber in resin... but the joints are very clunky.

I shared the post with a friend who's designing e-tuktuks, and he found it pretty interesting.

I think bamboo bodies would work from an eco-tourism perspective... the problem is with raw bamboo and abaca weave, it's a labor intensive process. Hemp/bamboo/etcetera composites would probably scale up better.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:29 PM   #33 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Some plastic resins can be made out of basically any vegetable oil, including both soy and hemp. BTW China has never outlawed hemp, and much of its reinforced concrete relies on hemp fiber, so who would doubt that Chinese-made cars would start coming with plastic parts reinforced with hemp fiber too?

IIRC it ran on coconut oil.
Odd 13" Daihatsu rims
Old 06-06-2017, 06:19 AM   #34 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Waste Veggie Oil was briefly discussed here during the 08-09 oil crisis, but many of the WVO startups have shrivelled up with the return of (relatively) cheap diesel.
Veg oils, either waste or fresh, have never really been taken seriously as a long-term alternative, even though sometimes it's way more cost-effective than both biodiesel and ethanol. The only problem is that it would not be compatible with some modern emissions control systems.

Quote:
Bamboo bikes are starting to become a thing here... local makers use bamboo struts connected by composite joints made using bamboo fiber in resin... but the joints are very clunky.
I've already seen some bamboo bikes too.

Quote:
I think bamboo bodies would work from an eco-tourism perspective... the problem is with raw bamboo and abaca weave, it's a labor intensive process. Hemp/bamboo/etcetera composites would probably scale up better.
Bamboo composites would be a great alternative to fiberglass in applications less sensitive to extreme temperatures, it does surprise me that it's not used so widely.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #35 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Bamboo? What, you want to use-up all the Panda bear food (wink,wink)?
Old 06-06-2017, 05:01 PM   #36 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Bamboo became quite endemic in tropical and subtropical areas in Latin America, where there are no Panda bears around.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
3D print (hemp/bamboo composite) internal lugs, machine the bamboo to a consistent inside diameter, crochet a hemp fiber sleeve for the join and clear resin that.

Reply  Post New Thread