Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
NOpe! It is a racist, sexist, xenophobic, agoraphobic, coulrophobic, something about T-rUmP, lactose intolerant, climate denier.
Thanks for delineating so clearly....... 'cept fer all yer mistakes.
Ya gotta spell better. It's "don'T rump".
Jes' drinkin' a glass of moo.
The Avengers with Diana Rigg had an episode on agoraphobia. Enemies of an agoraphobic CEO, drugged him, & placed him in the middle of an empty football field. When he woke up in the middle of the big field, he went crazy.
Coulrophobia is defined by the word, "It".
Of course, using the term "climate denier", you mean "AGW climate change denier".

Last edited by litesong; 11-05-2019 at 08:57 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for delineating so clearly....... 'cept fer all yer mistakes.
Ya gotta spell better. It's "don'T rump".
Says you. You're not going to [successfully] police other people's speech, when you set such a sterling example yourself.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Says you. You're not going to [successfully] police other people's speech, when you set such a sterling example yourself.
Corekshuns:
Seyz u. ur's knot goin' ta [suksessphulee] poe-lees otter peeple's speach, wen u cet cuch a stirlin' exampl yerselph.

Corekt spelink:
"don'T rump"..... no joke
Old 11-05-2019, 11:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Okay. Going back to ignoring you until you have something constructive to say now.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Xist (11-07-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 11:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
2019 US sales are on target to fall short of 2018 sales. It might be a hockey stick, but sadly in the wrong direction.

It will happen, but not just yet.
Keep an eye on the global market.The American piston lobby is doing everything in their power to maintain hegemony in the auto market here.It looks like a failed business model though,as physically,ICE can't possibly compete against EV in any metric,in any statistically significant way.
Foreigners may not be as stupid as Americans.Their arithmetic appears to better than ours.
We'll never be able to compete in a globalized economy as long as we choose to allow vast fortunes to go up in smoke every year.
And isn't cannibalism against the law?
Old 11-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Foreign EV markets are propped up by policy, and even then EVs account for next to nothing in sales with exception of certain very small countries.

The achilles heel of EVs is the battery. It's essentially a $10,000-$20,000 fuel tank, that can only be filled slowly, with sparse "rapid" charging infrastructure", that requires environmental regulation (heating/cooling/vibration), that shrinks in capacity over time, that holds less miles of range, whose range is severely reduced in cold conditions (up to half the range). EVs are better in every other way though.

Automakers don't want to make EVs because they aren't profitable. Their ICE counterparts cost half as much and don't suffer the limitations of a battery. Sure, it's a bit bothersome to visit a petrol station occasionally, and charging at home is superior, and the cost of fuel is a bit more per mile than electricity, but consumers prefer those drawbacks to those of an EV.

We'll transition away from ICE, but BEVs aren't there yet. They are for the 1% at the moment, but winning over the 99% will take time and improvements in technology and infrastructure.

As an aside, a used Model S is beginning to be on my radar as the oldest ones are coming down in price. I'd say I stand an 85% chance of purchasing an EV within a year.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-06-2019), Xist (11-07-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Foreigners may not be as stupid as Americans.Their arithmetic appears to better than ours.
We'll never be able to compete in a globalized economy as long as we choose to allow vast fortunes to go up in smoke every year.
And isn't cannibalism against the law?
I've never understood mathematicians inventing new number systems (excepting Synergetics). Their use of arithmetic seems to give variable results, from Norway to China. Taken as a whole, China and India aren't using their numbers.

Was it Americans or others that jump-started the electric car market?

And cannibalism is Okay among LLCs.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 01:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

jump-started

Quote:
I've never understood mathematicians inventing new number systems (excepting Synergetics). Their use of arithmetic seems to give variable results, from Norway to China. Taken as a whole, China and India aren't using their numbers.

Was it Americans or others that jump-started the electric car market?

And cannibalism is Okay among LLCs.
I'd give AeroVironment credit for the near-recent interest in EVs,after the debut of their Impact,of 1987,which ultimately became the EV1.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

just as much

Quote:
But I just saw somebody claim electric cars pollute just as much because everybody gets their electricity [only] by burning fuel. Could they be 'blowing smoke'?
There's an 'accuracy' to their comment,when taken in it's proper context.

Back in 2012,CAR and DRIVER did a great article about this.They provided a breakdown,state-by-state,for all fifty states,revealing how 'green' or not,each state's electricity turned out to be.
The long game for EVs (and the reason for their appeal) is charging from a zero-carbon grid at some point in the future.
We maintain mobility,but without the greenhouse gas emissions.And at lower overall cost.
At the EIA website,you can see how dirty coal is in a death spiral (eight coal companies have filed for bankruptcy this year),while cleaner natural gas (aside from it's rogue methane emissions) is taking it's place,along with a slow, incremental rise in renewables.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
I'm always circling back to the idea of V2G (vehicle to grid) storage schemes to help solve the problem of intermittency of power generation. Whenever you can kill 2 stones with 1 bird, it has my interest.

I wonder how much of a buffer would be reasonably available if 50% of households had EVs connected to the grid? Average household consumption rate is 1.2 kW. EVs could reasonably be expected to output 6-9 kW back to the grid, so they could support 6 households for every connected EV, and that's assuming the need to provide 100% of the electrical needs instead of some "make up" portion.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-06-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread