Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2021, 11:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,596 Times in 7,079 Posts
My parents owned a 1964 Rambler 770 station wagon. It had the E-stick transmission that declutched when you touched the shift lever.

Quote:
An interesting '62 Classic option (shared with American) was "E-Stick," a manual transmission with "automatic" clutch. Though it cost just $60, it was too complex to sell really well.
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/rambler-cars.htm

There was a little ball-headed pin in the steering column that snapped off twice while I was driving it. They blamed my skill shifting until it happened to them, too.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-07-2021, 12:16 AM   #22 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
That's what most markets are all about. On a sidenote, I guess you might know automatic clutches used to be relatively popular in Europe, with systems such as the Saxomat being even available as a factory option on some models, while other systems entirely vacuum-operated (with a rudimentary electronic control) remained common among disabled drivers until some years ago. It's also worth to mention those single-clutch automated-manual transmissions, which in the U.S. are better known for their fitment to heavy-duty trucks while in Europe they used to be quite common on cars until at least 10 years ago instead of a conventional automatic or a dual-clutch AMT.
More than 90% of long-haul semi trucks are sold with an automated manual today.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:36 AM   #23 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Even in the highly-conservative Brazil, now it's quite common to see not only long-haul semi trucks with an AMT. Even urban transit buses, which BTW are still often front-engined, may be fitted with an AMT as it seems easier for the fleet managers to get used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire516 View Post
I do know Ford brought over the AMT for their Focus starting around 2013.
But that was a DCT, not a single-clutch AMT.

Quote:
I've heard they've had to replace many while under warranty. I am curious if it said more about the manufacturing quality, or the way US residents tend to drive cars. All I know is that people I talk to here that have them really dislike the transmission.
This transmission was troublesome elsewhere too. When the 3rd-gen Focus got a facelift, the ones bound to Australia switched from the PowerShift DCT to a more conventional automatic with a torque converter, also being sourced from Thailand instead of South Africa.

The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
livewire516 (04-07-2021)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
camper, chevrolet, chevy, gmc, van