Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #991 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Silver surfer - '97 Honda Civic HX
Thumbs up New but intrigued

@ Russel,
knowing how the programs work is a big thing to understand. Check out some High level programming languages work and basically move to a sort of assembly language. The trick is not to understand everything, It's just understand enough to get it to work(encapsulation). .cpp is the standard C++ (cplusplus) source file name. It gets sent to the compiler to have .obj code created,then tothe linker yada yada yada, It's just for the creators of the code to know. its for us to use, and/or modify. since it is opensource!!! So if you do get it to work remember to post your settings for your car so other people wouldn't even have to make their first guess of faith. The more transparent the hard stuff is to the user the better and more successful it becomes.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #992 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Great project i think to connect my proto to car in next two weeks. Hopefully thats goes ok.

Anyone connect graphic display to mpguino? I think if thas is possible (enough arduino cpu power?) mpguino takes many other features (example, open doors indicator, inside/outside temp, maybe engine tempatatures etc.)

I have TFT 3.2" 65k display my arduino mega1028 protoboard and that work very fine, but i think if consumption calculating is very accurate, can tft "writing" mess to mpguino consumption calculating? TFT includes also rtc -ic and sd -memory card place (very easy take longer consumption readings and example own starting logo/picture).

Hopefully somebody want to read and answer my questions

EDIT: I look code couple times and i have one question why "setup" ask vehicle weight? What mpguino calculatin that value?

Last edited by LassiV; 04-11-2011 at 02:34 PM..
Old 04-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #993 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Version 0.86 updates

software:
1. Metric options, litres, km, l/100km
Setup is still in english for simplified table of car values, metric display is option at end of setup (left + right buttons), will convert values to metric at display time if metric=1.
Uses Litres/Kilometers, and consumption is in Liters/100KM

Abbreviated Labels changes when in metric mode by screen:
Custon screen
MG->LK (Miles Per Gallon -> Liters per 100KM)
GH->LH (Gallons Per Hour => Litres per Hour)

Combo Screens:
IM->IL (Instant MPG -> Instant L/100KM)
CM->CL (Current MPG -> Current L/100KM)
TM->TL (Tank MPG -> Tank L/100KM)

Big number screens:
MPG->L/K (MPG -> L/100KM)

Trip screens:
MH->KH (Miles Per Hour -> KM per Hour)
MG->LK (Miles Per Gallon -> Liters per 100KM)
MI->KM (Miles -> KiloMeters)
GA-> L (Gallons -> Liters)

EOC/Idle screen:
G-> L (Gallons -> Liters)

2. Added another decimal place to the big numbers (more useable in L/100km mode)
i.e. it can display X.XX or XX.X or XXX depending how large the number is

hardware:
1. upgraded to atmega328.

2. switched to npn backlight driver, driven from vehicle voltage through a 1 watt resistor rather than regulator.
a. this allows the large capacitor to power the cpu longer in a power dip, since it doesn't try to power the backlight,
and the unit should survive power fluxuations better.
b. takes load off of regulator (the resistor does get warm).
c. makes it easier to relocate that source of heat and/or make it much easier to tie into existing dashboard dimmer circuit.

3. tied in the analog vss and vcc to facilitate analog inputs.

4. added pads for all unused pins (except reset), now experimetors can easily get to rx, tx, aref, 2 analogs and 2 pwm pins.

5. Turned down brownout detecton (we are not writing except at config)

6. Disabled self programming for stability.

framework:
1. using newer g++ for atmega328 compatibility, avr-gcc version 4.3.2 (adds a lot of bytes though)

2. npn backlight drive signal changes.

3. Replaced all arduino external function references with their avr counterparts or included functions. cpp file is now self contained and divorced from arduino updates and has smaller/faster performance.

4. updates to ubuntu build utilizing wine (was having to build on seperate windows machine and program on linux)

5. Experimenting with eclipse CDT w/avr plugin, still using external scripts to compile/burn, but eclipse editor is big improvement over notepad/gedit.

CPU Utilization = 49.86%, Free Ram = 1189 bytes, Free Flash = 13920 bytes

will update svn cpp and schematic when I remember how.

Edit, svn updated, here is latest source
http://opengauge.googlecode.com/svn/...no/mpguino.cpp

Previous Updates
I have a mpguino that was pre-assembled from late 2009 or early 2010 and want to upgrade it to the newest software because mine keeps resetting on every 7th startup of the car or so. My preassembled one doesn't have a usb port to program it, but the kits do.

I see there are hardware changes to the mpguino now, does this mean mine wont work with the new v86 software?

If it will work, i have a willem eeprom burner, can you write the info to the atmega168 with that, or do i have to use an arduino duemilanove?

Yes I'm new to chip burning, and I apologize if my questions are of noob like nature.

Last edited by steffen707; 04-17-2011 at 03:51 PM..
Old 04-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #994 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Whenever my unit freezes and i have to unplug it to get it to work again, all my settings are lost.

So what's broken on my mpguino? Bad atmega168?
Old 04-18-2011, 04:13 AM   #995 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello all. Are anyone interested update to 0.86 version to arduino sketch. I think if i try get 3.2" lcd works with mpguino, but i dont have library my lcd display with c -program language only prosessing -form.

Anybody knows are this 0.86version goes "prosessing" -form?
Old 06-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #996 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My car is Dodge Colt 200 1990 (Mitsubishi Mirage),engine is Mitsubishi 4g15 and i dont believe my MPGuino work correctly?

Check this vidéo for the road test.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Thanks
Old 07-05-2011, 02:36 AM   #997 (permalink)
slave to the grind

Sippy The Slow Sentra - '94 NISSAN SENTRA EX
Team Nissan
90 day: 45.73 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to TOOQIKK
where can a i buy a MPGuino?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #998 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Beater - '07 Chevrolet Aveo
90 day: 27.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOQIKK View Post
where can a i buy a MPGuino?
http://opengauge.org/mpguino/
Old 09-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #999 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Super Duty - '12 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Long Bed Super-Cab
90 day: 15.29 mpg (US)
I just ordered one!

Good Bye Insight Hello 6.7 Diesel Truck!
**My First Hybrid Insight**

Last edited by HighMPG; 09-14-2011 at 01:00 AM..
Old 12-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #1000 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen707 View Post
Whenever my unit freezes and i have to unplug it to get it to work again, all my settings are lost.

So what's broken on my mpguino? Bad atmega168?
Well just so you guys know, the first mpguino I bought was junk. Froze all the time, had to unplug it to get it to work again for 1-5 days then it froze again.

I bought another and have had zero problems for 8 months or so. So beware, you get what you pay for, a grass roots, might work device with zero help or sympathy from the maker. I had to buy another one rather then get mine replaced for free. I will say its a super awesome little device though now that its working.

Reply  Post New Thread