Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3AkAzOiD View Post
What size battery do you have an how far can you drive before needing a charge?
The battery is an Odyssey PC625 deep-cycle battery for a motorcycle. I had to buy SAE post adapters for its M6 posts. I seem to have an absolute maximum from a full charge to 11.0 volts (very low) of a little over 70 miles. But that is really too far and it will shorten the life of the battery. My daily use is 30-40 miles in good road conditions during daylight hours--a very comfortable range. But notice that I also reduced electrical load with LEDs and HID headlights. If you only plan daylight driving, replace the brake lights first because you have no choice but to use them, obviously.

Quote:
I have been thinking about an alternator and A/C delete but was scared or limiting my range. I do 70 miles round trip for work and have no way to charge it while at work.
I would imagine you'd hardly miss the AC belt being off, now that winter is approaching. You can use the heater, wipers, and a rag for defog (all what I do). On the charging issue: my alt is still ready to go at any time. It takes me just about 1 minute to reconnect its electricals under the hood. The next stage of the install is an alternator on/off switch. BE CAREFUL when you disconnect an alt: unhook the negative battery connector and be certain you have fully disconnected the electrical lines to the alt so as to remove risk of damaging your alt.

Quote:
You going to do a write up on your install or did you follow somone elses write up?
I do plan write ups. But the alt mod is not done because it needs the on/off switch install still. The battery mod almost is complete. I'm experimenting with configurations of the battery and charger on board. Then I post pics and details.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Fr3AkAzOiD (10-08-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I have gone alternator optional. Adapted to no alt with an Odyssey deep-cycle motorcycle battery + on-board specially designed Odyssey 6amp charger. I plug the car in at night now. I also have slowly installed LED and HID lights. I am hitting new highs at a time I should be seeing declining FE: morning temps are in the 50s/60s, nights are longer, and I'm encountering some rain. It is not Minnesota, but it is not ideal, either. Things are working nicely. But I had hoped to hit 70mpg this tank. Still, I'm hopeful I might get to a 65mpg three-tank or 90-day average yet this fall.
damn. Thats amazing

Reply  Post New Thread