Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
The recent commotions in Iran are helping raise the price oil.

Just this afternoon I was daydreaming about how expensive would gas have to be for some of my family and friends to finally take the train, bus or subway to work. I wonder how many of them actually see a relationship between gas prices, their driving habits, and how much money is left at month's end? A lot of people aren't able to see as far into the future as the next time they fill up (even though that may be tomorrow). Ecodriving today does not immediately translate into saved money. The savings may or may not happen at some moment in the abstractly distant future.
It's sort of like electricity: if you had to drop a coin into the TV at the beginning of every 30 minutes you watch, you'd think twice when you had to pull out the next coin. Today you watch all you want, leaving it on when you go to the bathroom or kitchen, or fall asleep, but the bill comes x months later.
If only cars had some device that caused discomfort inversely proportional to the driver's FE at the moment...

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 06-15-2009 at 03:38 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Punk

Honduh Power - '98 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.37 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
If only cars had some device that caused discomfort inversely proportional to the driver's FE at the moment...
Ya, like a stun gun in the seat of your pants activated by a throttle kick down switch... uncomfortable yet?!?!!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Mute the radio and turn off the A/C (in that order) during excessive acceleration.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 06-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
A man was in an unfamiliar place, and couldn't find the light in the rest room... after doing his business, he cleaned himself with some rather John Wayne-like supplies, and reached around to flush his mess away...

He quickly found that each time he pulled the flush handle, he got quite the shock to his groin area.

The next day, he overheard someone talking about a "crappy mop bucket".. and at that very moment, he understood what had happened.

Talk about discomfort, eh?

Old 06-16-2009, 12:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
I hardly think of relatives and fuel mileage, it is part of a bigger idiot.

anyway, hardly discomforting, but another bonus for 2 barrel carb users...the secondary lets a bellow out on alot of vehicles that have more than one barrel. It further proves iunjection can be one dripping gooping slob at any moment you don't want
I am not looking forward to prices right now, I seem to be in the high 20s rather than 30s and 40s. this may be the summer to tear down 20 years of function...not all that difficult, and stil cheap. but the chore of doing so...
Old 06-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
This summer,I'm going to roll up in a blanket and be placed in a basket on the steps of EXXON's headquarters over in Plano,Texas.Since they'll have all my income by then,I figure it's only fair that they take me on as a dependent.Shucks,the I.R.S. will probably give 'em a tax deduction for the extra expense.Chains,shackles,and a little gruel."Oh what I'd give to be spat upon!"
aerohead, Exxon is headquartered in Irving not Plano but there are Exxon gas stations in Plano. I am sure they would be glad to give you a job pumping gas. It beats watching MTV all day.

Suggest you go to EDGAR dot com and research the taxes & tax rates paid by Exxon in their 2008 10A filing. But you probably have already done that. You have shown a lot of knowledge about Exxon.
not!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EXXON  vs Bottom 50% .jpg
Views:	19
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	3708  
Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

UfoTofU - '91 Honda CRX DX
Last 3: 28.36 mpg (US)
Gas prices rise for 50th straight day
Old 06-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Back when I was commuting to school at a cost of two gallons a day, I did the math and decided I wouldn't skip class until gas hit $20/gal. However, $10/gal would have been ample to get me to trade the Subaru for a Civic, do 55mph on the throughway, and look really hard for an apartment near college.

So, demand for fuel is totally inelastic in the short term, but actually quite elastic in the long term. Sustained high prices are required to get people to change their behaviour. That's why I'm sad that the current price hike is a speculation-fuelled bubble: demand isn't up, supply isn't down, it's mostly just investors parking their money in commodities.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Looks like people are going to start praying for cheap gas again. And telling the President to do everything to lower oil prices. Maybe even add an Amendment to the Constitution stating that every American must have cheap gas. Anything, as long as they don't have change anything themselves.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 06-19-2009, 01:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

UfoTofU - '91 Honda CRX DX
Last 3: 28.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Back when I was commuting to school at a cost of two gallons a day, I did the math and decided I wouldn't skip class until gas hit $20/gal.
Gosh, two gallons?

Reply  Post New Thread