Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Charlie View Post
Vwbeamer;

Another possibility that I have not seen accomplished to its full potential is a tail supported off a hitch receiver. This would enable a longer tail, be lighter weight, and eliminate licensing costs, but would lose the convenience (attaching and detaching) and functionality (easily accessed storage) of a separate trailer.
This (tail in hitch receiver) is exactly what I am trying to research right now. I have a 2003 Astro Van with the Aerodynamics of a brick. I am about to go on a 3000 mile vacation in 2 weeks and was contemplating adding a "cargo box" style tailcone plugged into my 2" receiver for the trip. I was hoping to find some data on this site to give me an idea of what mpg I might save. On the freeway I get about 19mpg. I spent a few hours last night browsing this forum looking for others that might have tried this already, but I didn't find any. I even tried the flow simulator but the system was backed up. any links to other threads with tailcones on vans would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Man, that thing is shiny!! I would think that a mirror finish isn't the safest thing to have. In the dark or in quickly changing traffic conditions it'd be easy to not notice that thing...
Well even worse is the sun reflection. What's with all the chrome in the world? People seem to forget that you can't look at the sun
Old 01-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
You can so look at the sun... it's just not a very bright idea.

Technically, when you look into some object whose radiant energy is "too high" for your eyes, your eyelids should close involuntarily. This isn't always the case, though.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I think it's pointless to make a boattail that's heavy enough to need a wheel holding it up
Old 01-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
You can so look at the sun... it's just not a very bright idea.

Technically, when you look into some object whose radiant energy is "too high" for your eyes, your eyelids should close involuntarily. This isn't always the case, though.
The problem is a curved object sends less total energy toward your eyes, but the brightness of the light concentrated on your retina is the same, just a smaller spot. So your eyes don't close because of the smallness of the bright spot, but there's just as much permanent damage.

Similarly, you change distance from a bright light and the brightness is still the same (aside from slight atmospheric scattering). Only the size of the projection onto your retina changes.

Plus if you're purposely looking at an object, like a car, the chrome pipes on your Harley, or a trailer, the blink reflex is overruled.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
epic stock master

86 Accord LX (carb) - '86 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 35.57 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I think it's pointless to make a boattail that's heavy enough to need a wheel holding it up
the folks who have attempted to make a detachable tail via a reese hitch, have found the boat tails are difficult to attach/detach by one person. the wheel solves a lot.

can anyone answer how this trailer with a wheel turns? do they just let that wheel skid sideways?
i doubt that wheel pivots like a castor. (see my earlier post).
Old 01-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Yes, actually it does caster. See this website for info.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
So, the back wheels on the car get as much side force on turns as they would with the whole tail cantilevered, but without the weight on them to help with traction. How fast can you say "Oversteer!!"? There's a Goggomobile set up like this in the Microcar museum. It must have been a major hazard, even to VW drivers.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Boy you're just a ray of sunshine today, aren't you, Bob?
I don't think a small single wheel trailer will affect the handling much of the tow vehicle. Most of them have the wheel set well back, so they actually transfer most of their weight to the hitch.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
If I may chime in, trailers are a peculiar thing as far as handling goes, too much tongue weight, and you have a handling issue due to possibly overloading the rear of the car, too little tongue weight, and the trailer takes on a life of it's own. Either situation equates to nothing other than DEATH ON THE HIGHWAYS!!!

So I imagine, being sensible folks, if this trailer is set up correctly, it will have the least impact possible to the drivability of the tow vehicle/trailer combination. Also, when you have anything in tow, it does affect the handling of the vehicle no matter what. So be careful.

Reply  Post New Thread