Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
Question Question for Metro owners.

I test drove an 2000 Metro yesterday and I was unimpressed. This car had a nice interior and low miles and is a one owner car, but the outside was bashed up and the engine was covered with oily dirt from a leak somewhere.

The car seemed to vibrate pretty badly, and I'm wondering if this is normal for a 3 cylinder engine. I'm guessing that something was wrong, and that it was only running on 2, but I have no experience with these engines, and I did no further testing. It clearly would not climb the steep hills in my neighborhood, as it had a hard time accelerating once it was up to about 50 MPH.

Also the shifter for the 5 speed was very stiff. Stiffer than any car I've driven, and I've driven many different cars over 35 years.

Are these idiosyncrasies that Metro owners are used to, or is this as I suspect, just a POS?

This guy didn't know much about the car. He is selling it for his mother, and I think his main selling point is the low miles. 72k for a 2000.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-25-2009, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
That car has problems.

If it's a good price and you can do the work it's probably worth fixing.

The stiff shifter is likely an easy fix. The linkage joints under the car get corroded and stiff. Clean and grease 'em up and it should shift like new.

The dead cylinder might be that infamous valve issue. I've never dealt with it but I've heard of it.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 11-25-2009 at 10:41 PM..
Old 11-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
It sounds like this car has big issues, even if this guys mother never maintained it shouldn't be that rough unless it was abused as well, my mom bought a 2000 metro with around 72,000 miles and the only thing the original owner had done was had the exhaust welded when it rusted and he put a set of tires on it, he figured selling a car when it needed tires for the 2nd time was the time to sell it, he never did any other work to the car and it drives like it was brand new.
Another one that I drove that seemed to be closer to what you had looked at had been owned by a 18 year old who tried to put an amp and sub woofer in it, the car died while I was taking it for a test drive and I had to push it back to their house!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Silver Bullet - '00 Pontiac Firefly 4 door model
90 day: 12.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
I test drove an 2000 Metro yesterday and I was unimpressed. This car had a nice interior and low miles and is a one owner car, but the outside was bashed up and the engine was covered with oily dirt from a leak somewhere.

The car seemed to vibrate pretty badly, and I'm wondering if this is normal for a 3 cylinder engine. I'm guessing that something was wrong, and that it was only running on 2, but I have no experience with these engines, and I did no further testing. It clearly would not climb the steep hills in my neighborhood, as it had a hard time accelerating once it was up to about 50 MPH.

Also the shifter for the 5 speed was very stiff. Stiffer than any car I've driven, and I've driven many different cars over 35 years.

Are these idiosyncrasies that Metro owners are used to, or is this as I suspect, just a POS?

This guy didn't know much about the car. He is selling it for his mother, and I think his main selling point is the low miles. 72k for a 2000.
sounds like something that should go to the scrap yard. keep looking but for one in good or better condition.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Ha Ha, the scrapyard! That's where I score some of the greatest deals!!!

Old 11-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Ha Ha, the scrapyard! That's where I score some of the greatest deals!!!
LoL and the scrapyards up here try to get $700 for a pair of doors.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Sounds like the known problem of burnt valves. It's a common issue since these cars are considered "disposable" instead of "priceless" and never maintained. I bought both my Metros with the same problem. After rebuilding the head in a matter of hours, both cars are running strong and getting awesome gas mileage.

Shifter bushings may be gummed up and will work after using it, or maybe the trans is low on lube. If it were me, I would jump on it especially if the undercarriage is rust free and solid. If you do not wish to take on a project and rebuild this little car with your own two hands, then don't buy it. If you are interested, let us know and I can supply you with numerous guides with pictures and help you fix the car.

I don't regret buying and rebuilding the 2 I have. They have already payed me back and then some.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 11-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

If I didn't already have a lifetime supply of Tempos, I'd go get a fixer-upper Metro for sure!

Old 11-25-2009, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
I've been watching craigslist because the Metro seems pretty popular for really high mpg. There have been a few for around $500-$600 that need work, mostly on the engine, but I checked this one out because of the low mileage. The front has been bashed by an SUV so it needs a fender, hood, and headlight, at the very least, and I could turn the bolts on the hatchback hinge with my fingers. The guys low price was $1200, and I figure I can find something a lot better for around the same price, or something that needs as much work for a lot less.

I'm just wondering what to expect from a Metro that's running right. Are they smooth? Are they fairly quiet? Do they shift easily? Do they accelerate reasonably? Are they easy to work on? Are they cheap to keep running if you take care of them? Are they easy to find parts for?

Thanks
Old 11-26-2009, 06:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Quote:
Are they smooth?
The 3 cylinder will not idle perfectly smooth since it's the nature of the engine. The ride is decent for such a small car.
Quote:
Are they fairly quiet?
My 1998 model has a brand new Walker exhaust and it is very quiet. When modifying the exhaust, you will find the 3 cylinder can be louder than a V-8.
Quote:
Do they shift easily?
Using Synchromesh lube in the transmission will make it shift like butter. Both my Metros had the regular gear oil swapped with Synchromesh for that reason.
Quote:
Do they accelerate reasonably?
Reasonably for a 55 HP engine. Do not expect a Metro to out-accelerate any other vehicle including a school bus. I added performance parts to mine to help out.
Quote:
Are they easy to work on?
The Metro is the easiest vehicle to work on since the old VW Bug. I was impressed that as a first timer on rebuilding an engine, I had it done in 18 hours.
Quote:
Are they cheap to keep running if you take care of them?
I bought my 1998 Metro when gas was $4.00 a gallon almost two years ago and have done hardly any repairs to it since except wearout items like brakes. I bought it with 130K on it and it now has 180K on it. My wife's 1997 Metro is also trouble free since rebuilding and fixing it. You will never find another vehicle that gets the fuel mileage these cars do unless you buy a Hybrid.
Quote:
Are they easy to find parts for?
Yes. There are even some performance parts available.

Here are two interesting threads if you are interested. Both of these cars have less than $1000.00 invested including purchase price.............

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ject-2936.html

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...etro-9810.html

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:
thatguitarguy (11-26-2009)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
3 cylinder, metro