Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 01:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jetta - '05 Volkswagen Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
I get that attitude from people when I am driving my Metro around. It seems like everyone hates my little car but me. I had an instance where I was traveling 55 MPH on a 50 MPH road going to work and this guy in a Tractor/Trailer starts riding my bumper for miles. A really small passing line comes up with oncoming traffic and this idiot goes for it with 18 wheels! He was barely past me when he abruptly changed over almost putting me into the ditch. I followed this retard to his next stop. I pulled up beside his cab and jumped out of my car saying........

"I am reporting your ass!"
"Your company has an account with us and I know the owner, so consider yourself fired!"

He did not expect a 6' 3" 250LB mullet to jump out of a "Clown car" and rip him a new one and said nothing to me at all.

Not quite my style but well played.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-26-2008, 02:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
SVOboy -

The Internet allows for *everyone* to have a voice, including the maroons. The main goal is to get the info out. The people you are trying to help will get the message. The rest will continue to drown in their own mental noise.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 05-26-2008, 02:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Like mixing ketchup and vegetable oil, its always the filth that floats to the top.

For every idiot that took the effort to respond ignorantly, there were probably 7-10 people who took those suggestions with an open mind. Popular Mechanics is a popular, nationwide magazine. Out of hundreds of thousands of views, 30 idiots is a pretty good ratio...

Look at the forum statistics now. For every member blabbing away, over 7 are listening quietly and absorbing information. You never know who's watching...

You could also take the tabloid, celebrity perspective: any attention is good attention.

- LostCause
Old 05-26-2008, 02:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
On my local 4x4 forum we were discussing ways to save. Some folks are open minded, others "Just put gas in and pay for it". Some have a small daily driver, or a motorcycle they can ride (now that it is warm again). Some are looking at ways to save where they can. others complain and take it. 6 one, half a dozen the other...

Look, you probably feel about FE the same as I do about land use. Some get it, some don't. You do what you can where you can.

But hey, what do I know, I drive an evil SUV... An evil offroading Jeep even. That I have NO IDEA what I'm getting for mileage right now. My kids are driving it from time to time and put gas in without recording... Their money, not mine for a change!
Old 05-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
You are right - there were some brain-dead comments posted. Only one I saw made sense and that was about oxygenated fuels diminishing fuel economy. They do. Reduce the heating value of the fuel and the car doesn't go so far. E85 is the big oxygenated fuel today but you can barely get 2/3 of the MPG of RUG.

Firesone's lawyers will tell you their lawsuit came from SUVs with UNDER-inflated tires, not over-inflated. I have Firebombs and have no problem at all with 100 psi (25% overpressure) in the E-rated tires that don't even begin to "crown."

Get a thick skin. For every loud-mouthed meathead, there are a dozen people who you helped but they didn't comment.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 05-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

venture - '01 Chevrolet Venture LX
90 day: 25.58 mpg (US)

Dakota SLT - '01 Dodge Dakota Club Cab SLT
90 day: 19.05 mpg (US)

Focus - '00 Ford Focus ZTS
90 day: 32.32 mpg (US)

Chili Bean - '96 Geo Metro base
I read the artical. I thought it was a good list of simple thing "normal" people could do to save money without causing them too much pain.

I would like to see $1/gal. gas back as much as anyone but that isn't going to happen.
people are mad. I am too. but I'm not mad at those who have good suggestions, I joined them. I bought 2 metros this month, it feels good to go 2 1/2 times farther with the same money.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
igo
Master EcoModder

Mini Box Truck - '05 Scion Xb
90 day: 32.87 mpg (US)

It FITs - '09 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 36.2 mpg (US)

Impreza - '13 Subaru Impreza Sport
90 day: 30.92 mpg (US)
Hey, look on the bright side. You have 744 diggs right now. I am sure you are helping people out.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Sometimes I want to quit
Please don't. I don't post much, but I read a lot, and yours is one of the voices I learn a lot from. That was a good writeup on Popular Mechanics. It'll reach a large audience that may not have been introduced to hypermiling before. There are always going to be a few loudmouths that are oblivious to there own ignorance. We have to balance them! Good work.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
I agree with Fanamingo,
Please don't quit.
I came here through MetroMPG
and your posts are some of the ones that kept me coming back.
Thank You for all you do,
I am sure this site is a full time job for you and Darin and anyone else who helps.
We here appreciate your efforts.
Thank You,
P.W.Keim
aka
Schultz.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 05-26-2008, 11:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Big El Cheapo

big swede - '01 SAAB 9-5 2.3lt
90 day: 31.96 mpg (US)

mighty mite - '09 Honda Fit Sport

The V - '02 Honda CR-V EX-4WD

Ody - '09 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Dude, don't quit. Gas may come down in price but these tips are good regardless. I think part of the attitude is that people have become so polarized poitically that they think anyone even advocating commonsense conservation tips is sitting up in a tree with Al Gore looking for spotted owls. It's just being frugal. My grandparents went through the Depression and being "cheap" was a way of life for them even when they had money. We just don't have many people who've had a shock like that shape their life. I hope another one's not coming.....