Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I thought the Popular Mechanics article was very good.

It seems like many people are going through those steps of change.

I can never remember how they go - denial, anger, a couple others.......acceptance.

Most of us here are actively working to see what we can do personally to save money, cause less pollution, and use less energy.

Many of the public is in denile, or simply angry about the situation, and feel powerless.

The main reason I built my cycle was just to feel that I was positively DOING SOMETHING to help.

It is unfortunate that many people don't see things like simply checking tire pressure as a positive!!!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-27-2008, 10:02 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Workride - '07 Chevrolet Aveo5 SVE
90 day: 51.74 mpg (US)
In January I didn't know what a hypermiler was and now I is one. Like any change it will not happen overnight, and yes, there will be much weeping, wailing and nashing of teeth, but in the end the world will change. I do not take it to heart when when someone is short with me on the road (Ok, I try not to, but, yes I am human). Their lives are changing and they really don't understand why, they will, just not yet. It must be someone's fault, probably those guys in their little cars that seldom stop at gas stations. It is getting through to some, like the guy who went on vacation and rented a Yaris and had to tell me what a great little car it was. He's going to get one and only use the truck for hauling, or the woman that listened for an hour as I told her about Ecomodder com. and then asked how to find it on the web. They will need time. This has been going on for a hundred years. I am an old man. I feel their pain. I remember paying 18 cents for a gallon of gas in the 60's in Nebraska. Me, my father and his father always had all the gas they needed or wanted and they were encouraged to buy more. My mother had a set of dishes she got with each fillup. It will take time to get over.

homeworkhome53
Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

BBsRide - '06 Toyota Corolla CE
90 day: 31.64 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
It has begun...

When people feel financially pressured and personally screwed because of a societal 'necessity' they consume, the general public tends to have no interest in changing their habits/perspectives. They'd rather retaliate with anger, gestures, of committing physical harm to others (and believe me, I've been this side of the fence on this too). Why should they have to change when they have the right to cheap fuel?

This attitude of "entitlement" is a growing problem. People seem to think they are entitled to things just because they want it. Never mind about working for something. Thats just an old fashioned way of thinking.

Its a dangerous path we as a society have taken. (IMNSHO)

Bill
SippingFuel
Check out BBsGarage
Picture ur Pet

Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
My nephew is the sweetest kid out there - he'd give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. He tools along in his black Civic at sublimit speeds and no one ever gives him crap, because he's 6'2" and wears his Black Belt T-shirt everywhere. Good kid.

He gets good mileage, too.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBsGarage View Post
This attitude of "entitlement" is a growing problem. People seem to think they are entitled to things just because they want it. Never mind about working for something. Thats just an old fashioned way of thinking.

Its a dangerous path we as a society have taken. (IMNSHO)
This is a quote from a book called Atlas Shrugged, it is very long and some of the language is difficult to understand, however it applies to this situation without question:

"'I do approve of it, Mr. Rearden. But I've chosen a special mission of my own. I'm after a man whom I want to destroy. He died many centuries ago, but until the last trace of him is wiped out of men's minds, we will not have a decent world to live in.'
'What man?'
'Robin Hood.'
Rearden looked at him blankly, not understanding.
'He was the man who robbed from the rich and gave to the poor. Well, I'm the man who robs the poor and gives to the rich--or, to be exact, the man who robs the thieving poor and gives back to the productive rich.'
'What in the blazes do you mean?'
'If you remember the stories you've read about me in the newspapers, before they stopped printing them, you know that I have never robbed a private ship and never taken any private property. Nor have I ever robbed a military vessel--because the purpose of a military fleet is to protect from violence the citizens who paid for it, which is the proper function of a government. But I have seized every loot-carrier that came within range of my guns, every government relief ship, subsidy ship, loan ship, gift ship, every vessel with a cargo of goods taken by force from some men for the unpaid, unearned benefit of others. I seized the boats that sailed under the flag of the idea which I am fighting: the idea that need is a sacred idol requiring human sacrifices--that the need of some men is the knife of a guillotine hanging over others--that all of us must live with our work, our hopes, our plans, our efforts at the mercy of the moment when that knife will descend upon us--and that the extent of our ability is the extent of our danger, so that success will bring our heads down on the block, while failure will give us the right to pull the cord. This is the horror which Robin Hood immortalized as an ideal of righteousness. It is said that he fought against the looting rulers and returned the loot to those who had been robbed, but that is not the meaning of the legend which has survived. He is remembered, not as a champion of property, but as a champion of need, not a defender of the robbed, but as a provider of the poor. He is held to be the the first man who assumed the halo of virtue by practicing charity with wealth which he did not own, by giving away goods which he had not produced, by making others pay for the luxury of his pity. He is the man who became the symbol of the idea that need, not achievement, is the source of rights, that we don't have to produce, only to want, that the earned does not belong to us, but the unearned does. He became the justification of every mediocrity who, unable to make his own living, had demanded the power to dispose of the property of his betters, by proclaiming his willingness to devote his life to his inferiors at the price of robbing his superiors. It is the foulest of creatures--the double parasite who lives on the sores of the poor and the blood of the rich--whom men have come to regard as the moral ideal. And this has brought us to a world where the more a man produces, the closer he comes to losing all his rights, until, if his ability is great enough, he becomes a rightless creature delivered as prey to any claimant--while in order to be placed above rights, above principles, above morality, placed where anything is permitted to him, even plunder and murder, all a man has to do is be in need. Do you wonder why the world is collapsing around us? That is why I am fighting, Mr. Rearden. Until men learn that of all human symbols, Robin Hood is the most immoral and the most contemptible, there will be no justice on earth and no way for mankind to survive.'" - page 531-533, Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand

There are too many unproductive people complaining that "it's not my fault", and doing nothing to correct the problem. We have all bought gas, and thus it is our problem, and we all have to correct it. The people that go out and buy a big SUV, and then complain that it costs over a hundred dollars to fill it, are not solving the problem. We, people who become informed, purchase smaller, more efficient vehicles, seek to correct our driving techniques, modify our cars, and find alternative ways of transporting people and goods, are the ones who should be paying less for gas and diesel, because we have earned it through hard work and sacrifice. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Many may disagree with this rant, however, read the passage above again. It will make sense and cause you to think carefully about whose fault the problems that face our world really are. I can start by pointing my finger at myself, and make a move to correct the situation.

Last edited by Funny; 05-29-2008 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: incorrect punctuation
Old 05-28-2008, 02:50 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Nden Send a message via Yahoo to Nden
those who blame & complain about everything in thier life don't live happy lives. all that negativity just attacts more of the same. those who take personal accountablility empower themselves by acknowledging it starts with them and how they respond to things. like the glitches in my swap back to vtec-E. yeah i was gettin about 35mpg with no issues and a lil performance, but wasting $$ to bribe the smog guy every 2yrs and not getting my car's intended 40-44mg CA. Swap is basically done, cept for idle issue hopefully, and i'll save even more with it once tuned & not bribing smog tech. keep on trucking & thanks for the knowledge imparted here !

http://www.deantaber.com
Old 05-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #27 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Hey Funny,

Thank you for that thoughtful excerpt from a fine piece of literature.

I think it says a lot about our "sue-happy" American society as well.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 05-28-2008, 10:45 AM   #28 (permalink)
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
I keep wanting to read that book. I see way too many references to it these days. But that is such a heavy tome to lug around... NOT light reading. On any measure.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

zjrog,
Reading it goes real fast, because you get sucked into the story line, and lose all track of time. So while it is not "light", it reminds me of the book "the moon is a harsh mistress" in the sense that the storyline makes the book go fast.

The down side of reading it is that you realize how doomed we are.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
zjrog -

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
I keep wanting to read that book. I see way too many references to it these days. But that is such a heavy tome to lug around... NOT light reading. On any measure.
It's very easy reading because Ayn Rand's a good writer, but I don't agree with it's message. I read it in my Objectivism phase (the virtue of selfishness) in the early 1990's (which I have since rejected).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread