Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Ranger rake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX2.3 View Post
Looks like an edge but doubt it has much edge left.. and I plan to get rid of the flares..

So a level truck is best? no rake?

I might make an aerocap during the summer, looks simple enough..
I think Frank Lee is correct on this.I have an old HOT ROD Magazine article which deals with body rake,and older cars experienced a slight drag reduction when the nose was dropped slightly,if it was dropped a little more,it began to go back up.Ford may have already designed rake into the Ranger.Don't know.And short of having a wind-tunnel,it would take a lot of trial and error to isolate the ideal angle.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hermit

Aubergine - '94 Ford Ranger 4x4
90 day: 19.14 mpg (US)
Many trucks, like my Ranger, have some rake. My assumption had been that this was for load carrying, so the truck would level out rather than squat.

But, it's possible there is an aerodynamic benefit as well. Would that be different than the benefit of an air dam?
Old 05-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
maybe a lip spoiler at the end of the cabin would help. a lot of hatchbacks and breaks have this. perhaps even a small kammback that attatches to the roofline and sides, and slighthly angles inward. it wouldn't compromise the looks or usefullness of the truckbed much but might do a lot for aero if done right.

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*
Old 05-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
How about a bed fairing like mine. You are talking MPG, not Bonneville.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 05-06-2008, 12:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Where did you find that info?

Aero articles I've seen indicate a slight nose-down attitude to be beneficial for Cd.
Most of my thoughts on aerodynamics first center around symmetric airfoils just because they are the "ideal," but you are right. Being a funky, cambered "airfoil," the ideal AoA will vary based on the specific car.

The lowest drag solution will be one where the car generates no lift (Cd,0). Ideally, I think that should be achieved by setting the car's incidence angle to zero and cancelling any lift with downforce (e.g. a venturi). Raking the car, as Tasdrouille said, increases frontal area.

In the real world, rake would probably be a more practical solution, but that Ranger seems a little excessive.

- LostCause
Old 05-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbabybronco View Post
Many trucks, like my Ranger, have some rake. My assumption had been that this was for load carrying, so the truck would level out rather than squat.

But, it's possible there is an aerodynamic benefit as well. Would that be different than the benefit of an air dam?
An SAE paper I looked at this morning ( its old an from Fiat) had results from wind tunnel studies for scale models.Their take on airdams was that for a clean-bottomed vehicle an airdam could actually increase drag.For a dirty-bottomed vehicle they would probably help.Since the Ranger has a torture-chamber for an underside,my guess is that the airdam is for you.CAR and DRIVER's Pinto and Z-car projects both saw mpg improvements with airdams.They are an industry standard now for passenger cars. Corvette and Firebird Trans AM run very deep airdams,however,they are "bottom-breathers" with no grilles,and take in all their air from below the bumper.Try to get as much air around the Ranger as you can.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Saving Those Greenbacks

Snowy - '02 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 23.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
An SAE paper I looked at this morning ( its old an from Fiat) had results from wind tunnel studies for scale models.Their take on airdams was that for a clean-bottomed vehicle an airdam could actually increase drag.For a dirty-bottomed vehicle they would probably help.Since the Ranger has a torture-chamber for an underside,my guess is that the airdam is for you.CAR and DRIVER's Pinto and Z-car projects both saw mpg improvements with airdams.They are an industry standard now for passenger cars. Corvette and Firebird Trans AM run very deep airdams,however,they are "bottom-breathers" with no grilles,and take in all their air from below the bumper.Try to get as much air around the Ranger as you can.
Thanks!
Old 06-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2000FordRanger - '00 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Since the Ranger has a torture-chamber for an underside,my guess is that the airdam is for you.
As another Ranger rider, I'd be interested in installing an airdam. However, this is the first I've even considered the idea, and I'd appreciate some pointers. Are we talking about a commercial product, and if so, where does one get one? If this is something I have to build, please direct me to needed information.

Lane
Old 06-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Saving Those Greenbacks

Snowy - '02 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 23.29 mpg (US)
custom..

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100013884

cut and screw on.. I have the XL valance so I really dont mind drilling holes into it..

I also plan this weekend to make the side skirts from the same material.. and maybe a spoiler type thing..
chineseredneck (08-27-2012)
Old 06-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2000FordRanger - '00 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX2.3 View Post
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100013884

cut and screw on.. I have the XL valance so I really dont mind drilling holes into it..
The price is sure right for the material. And I have the XL valance as well, but I'm not sure where you put the strip. It looks like mine already has a dam... but I may be completely off base about what one is and where it goes.

Lane

Reply  Post New Thread