Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
But it's a nice looking car, ...
Even that's debatable.
There are some vehicles (I'm thinking Avalanche) that when they first came out, I thought, "Yuck! How could they design such a hideous thing!?" But a few years later you get used to seeing them and they don't seem so bad.
Then there are vehicles like the PT Cruiser that you think are pretty cool when they're introduced, but then they seem to grow uglier as time goes by. Now I just sadly wag my head when I see one on the road.
0.39 Cd? Didn't they even try?
Sorry for your misfortune, VT247, but it sounds like you'll come out ahead when you sell it. (soon? )

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Countess - '03 Mazda Protege LX 2.0
90 day: 25.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
That's because Mazda builds "zoom zoom" cars[...] People buy Mazdas to have fun!
The only "zoom zoom" sporty fun things about the Protege are the superbly quick and precise steering and the relatively nice (...and loud) engine note. Acceleration and "performance" aren't so much better than my father's '03 Corolla 4-speed auto...
Old 03-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationtime247 View Post
Mixed feelings about my new car. Just got a 2001 PT Cruiser for $750. The price is sure nice, I'll easily make a few dollars on this car.
Why not do so right away, and get something more efficient ?

Research it before buying

Old 03-16-2012, 01:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Toylet - '87 Toyota Supra 350 Chevy V8 / 700R4

In-Durrrr-Oh - '09 TMEC Enduro TMEC 200cc Enduro
90 day: 60.9 mpg (US)

Tem-poo - '86 Ford Tempo GL 4 Door 2.0 Liter Diesel 5 Speed
90 day: 47.52 mpg (US)

Ass Tick - '01 Pontiac Pontiac Aztek GT 5 Door

Green Baby Poop Stain - '01 Pontiac Aztek Aztek Base Model

Black Track - '01 Pontiac Aztek GT
Got it tuned up and running right. Had a huge vacuum leak from the intake to the PVC. Fixed a leaking & spraying fuel line! Now, for the real problem. The engine ran without knocks or noises & no smells. The trans shifted out good. BUT, the water pump leaks...and guess what? It's ran by the timing belt. Oh joy. Need to remove the front cover and get in there and replace it. Needs tires, they're mix-matched. Need a tire rod, a rear shock and some other parts. Right now I'm at about $1k in it after a $200 tow bill back to my place. Again... But my wife likes the way it looks. 'It has to be able to fit the kids and the dog (our Great Dane)'

Must be honest, I didn't research the car before purchase. The price was cheap enough, knew I could make some $, so I got it. Personally, I'd like to sell it and make the $ on it quick. But, I'd never hear the end of it if I did. lol
VT247

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Why not do so right away, and get something more efficient ?

Research it before buying
Old 03-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Doug - '03 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base
90 day: 31.16 mpg (US)

DR 350 - '92 Suzuki DR 350 S
90 day: 61.09 mpg (US)

Sid the Sloth - '82 Honda Civic CVCC Wagon
Last 3: 35.93 mpg (US)

Rocky - '92 Daihatsu Rocky
Last 3: 24.97 mpg (US)

Mick - '97 Jeep Cherokee XJ UpCountry
90 day: 19.4 mpg (US)
I own a MT 2003 PT Cuiser...they're actually really great cars with only a few things you need to watch out for.
1)Timing belt is at least an $800 bill and it NEEDS to be done every 100K miles (interference engine)
2)The automatic trans in the base and GT turbo model are horsesh*t...only get a 5-speed PT

Oh, and I have averaged 30 MPG combined since October in the winter months of Colorado. Hope to get into the mid thirties this summer.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Don't know if same 2.4 as in my stratus, but I had to change the waterpump & installed a new belt while there. Not hard but need to pull harmonic balancer (rent the proper tool) and you need the directions for re-installing the timing belt, I don't have them anymore a nephew got them for me.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Moostange - '07 Ford Mustang GT
Last 3: 21.8 mpg (US)
Here's some info about your auto trans in your PT cruiser:
gear_ratios [Chrysler 41TE Electronic ATX]

It has a 3.91 final drive, but possibly a 3.6 or 3.45 are also available. How much modding do you want to do to it?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Seems this car needs at least 1 (or 2) of everything. Inner and outer tie rods, ball joints, control arm bushing, watts link, spark plugs. Already done the water pump and timing belt. Runs good, but needs new spark plugs. Pulled the old ones and they looked old and worn. Getting it tuned to at least be a solid runner. In at about $1500 after parts, tow and initial purchase. Would like to double my money on it when it comes time to sell. Let my wife drive it for a while and be on the hunt for a diesel Beetle. Been checking around for one at the right price, like the PT. In hindsight, the Cruiser is a POS. Poor fuel mileage, entire front suspension needs replaced, had to replace the water pump and timing belt, oil change, cleaned out (was filthy), etc. Can't imagine what idiot would pay $4k over sticker for one 10 years ago.
VT247
VT247
Old 03-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

No nickname - '17 Chevrolet BoltEV Premiere
When they first came out, I wanted a PT Cruiser so bad I could hardly contain myself. Couldn't get past the price gouging the dealers were doing back then. I did notice shortly thereafter quite a few almost new ones showed up on used car lots. Finally broke down and test drove a new automatic version.....for a half block. It failed the right foot stomp miserably, so I turned around and gave it back. That helps explain {in my mind, at least} the turbo version.

Here's wishing you luck on your project PT and that you turn a profit when you sell it. I think your wife will be okay with you reselling it after she's had a little bit of time to enjoy it.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A friend of my wifes just got a PT Cruiser from JD Buttwiper (Byrider). Had to know how much she paid, $18k! Holy crapoly! WTF! They were neat when they first came out, but now they're everywhere and no longer a niche piece. The car only has high RPM power, low end torque is non existent, the drag coefficient is .39, lousy MPG, obviously made from inferior parts (the whole front end suspension needed rebuilt). Glad I only gave what I did for it, would be kicking myself in the butt if I had to do all this to a car had I payed more. Notably, the PT Cruiser may have got more HP from the turbo, but it didn't translate into better MPG for it.

Yes, I'm hopeful that she'll drive the 'new' out of it quickly. Really don't want to have to do anything else to it beyond the suspension now. Should be in @ $1600. Cheapest I've seen them listed on CL now is $3k, and needed work. I'll list it at $3500, and take anything over $2800. On the prowl for a diesel Beetle or Jetta. Better yet, fix my uncles van, get that 88 Mercedes Diesel. Come to think of it, that's my next project...
VT247

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstingy View Post
When they first came out, I wanted a PT Cruiser so bad I could hardly contain myself. Couldn't get past the price gouging the dealers were doing back then. I did notice shortly thereafter quite a few almost new ones showed up on used car lots. Finally broke down and test drove a new automatic version.....for a half block. It failed the right foot stomp miserably, so I turned around and gave it back. That helps explain {in my mind, at least} the turbo version.

Here's wishing you luck on your project PT and that you turn a profit when you sell it. I think your wife will be okay with you reselling it after she's had a little bit of time to enjoy it.

Reply  Post New Thread